P85ers delete thoes reeds

I won't get too long winded with this reply. I am the only currently active moderator on the Phantom builders facebook group, and yes... there are a lot of special children in that group. Moving on.

My own build thread goes into detail on the V2 piston and cylinder having cylinder wall clearances in the "hotdog in a hallway" class. I also have openly stated many times I don't trust the stock pistons. Even the V3, although it has been extremely and supremely more reliable than the previous versions, still seems to be a bit loose on the tolerances.

I bought 3 aftermarket stihl pistons to check difference measurements, a Meteor and Hyway MS460 and some brand I don't remember M380. The Meteor was the only piston that fit the Phantom properly and had a tight but in spec. cylinder wall clearance. Aka no piston slap. A lot of this is in my first build thread for my phantom. The Meteor is also the most heavy duty piston for the MS460 saws, with the thickest supports, skirts, and crown. It comes at the cost of being the heaviest of the three, but I will take a bit of weight for a bit of reliability. I'm not building a race engine.

I did actually window my meteor piston (with rather large windows), and it has been holding up just fine. That said, if I were to do it again I would run the Meteor piston without windows. If for no other reason than the Phantom makes more power without the reed and windows.

My 2 cents has been delivered.
Thanks for that. I appreciate your definitive comments on these often esoteric subjects. (As esoteric as mechanics can be.)

I look forward to what you have to say.

Thanks for that. I appreciate your definitive comments on these often esoteric subjects. (As esoteric as mechanics can be.)

I look forward to what you have to say.
I just like information being presented for what it is, and despite my ability for heavy handed words loaded with pretense I find the candid approach more salubrious. ;)

I also have a lot of experience explaining complex mechanical and electrical systems to new people or contracts I am assigned to whom lack the jargon vocabulary somebody in my industry normally has. I spend a lot of time learning how to relay information in a manner that most people can digest.

But hear is the kicker. piston swap and reed delete will void your warranty. A lose lose situation. Your money your call.
I mean, how would they know? What's wild is it your top end blows and they send you a replacement top end for you to install, you voided your warranty which is wild.

Back