Engine Trouble Peculiar Noise

Pull that side cover off and look behind there, it wouldn't be the first time a kit got sent out with some loose parts. Check over the coil and mag to make sure they aren't loose.

Now if they are loose, wrap a piece of paper around the mag before tightening up the coil so you maintain the spacing.

Pull that side cover off and look behind there, it wouldn't be the first time a kit got sent out with some loose parts. Check over the coil and mag to make sure they aren't loose.

Now if they are loose, wrap a piece of paper around the mag before tightening up the coil so you maintain the spacing.
I am fairly confident the noise is coming from inside the cylinder head. I took off the magneto and bevel gear/wheel covers and didn't hear any difference there. When I put my fingers on the exhaust pipe near the engine, it dampened the rattle some.

I added another bottom gasket, thinking it might be clearance-related but no. One guy in another forum suggested it might be tapping on the head gasket, but it only happens at idle, after the engine warms up.

Last edited:
Noises are amplified with these Aluminum engines. It could be some piston slap. Normal for a cheep China engine

Back