Engine Trouble Peculiar Noise

My carburetor-to-manifold screw was a little loose; maybe the minor air leak started again and that's the symptom/cause.

Sometimes the carb mounting flange will get warped usually from overtightening the mounting nuts or bolts. Causing a slight intake air leak.

By resurfacing the carb flange it can be corrected. Resurface the carb flange just like ya would resurface a head

If it goes away again, maybe just need some loctite blue?

Did ya check your carb flange for a flat surface?

Don't use Locktite, for maintenance reasons you don't want those nuts to be hard to take off or put back on easily.

Use a nut that looks like this and don't overtighten it. The nut is made to grip the surface and not loosen.
When used on an aluminum flange they grip real good

DSCF3902.JPGDSCF3903.JPG

Sometimes the carb mounting flange will get warped usually from overtightening the mounting nuts or bolts. Causing a slight intake air leak.

By resurfacing the carb flange it can be corrected. Resurface the carb flange just like ya would resurface a head
I though I could find a specific location to resurface and cannot. My best guess is that I'd sand down here, to make the carb fit on the manifold more snugly.

Attachments

• 61taVkF2mLL._AC_SS450_.jpg
    61taVkF2mLL._AC_SS450_.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 82
... like put a piece of sandpaper on a glass surface and rub that edge down some. Am I in the ballpark?

I assume it's not the carb itself, because I tried putting the one from my other bicycle on it (same basic kit brand; that never gave me any problems on other engine), and it only corrected it for like a day, then started up again.

... then I used a thin strip of polyethylene (HDPE) as a sealant over the manifold lip, where the carb grips. Apparently it lasted longer but is now failing. I was thinking the loosening of the screw caused it; and that if I made that lip of the carb a little shorter, the manifold would have room to bottom out on the carb (and I probably wouldn't need the strip of HDPE as a sealant... which probably is relevant to the screw loosening).

I though I could find a specific location to resurface and cannot. My best guess is that I'd sand down here, to make the carb fit on the manifold more snugly.

OH, you got a slip on carb it should be fine.
The nut's I mentioned would be for the intake manifold then.

Back