Picked up this beauty for $5

Picked this bike up for $5 and am going to convert it to a boardtrack/cruiser type ride. The engine for it is a 2-cycle Lawnboy 5HP. It is a 24" bike. It will have: 24x3" tires, front drum brake, leaf spring suspension and a manually controlled continious variable ratio drive setup.

I am a good ways along on this project but no pictures taken(I'll get on that aASAP). shed2 014.jpg

lawnboy.jpgThis is where I got the engine. Amazing the things people throw in the trash!

I know what you mean I was in the rich part of Dallas and found setting on the side of the road for the trash man to pick up a set of those black steel outdoor round table and chair and 4 chairs , the chair even had the cushion, the only thing was wrong was 1 end of the table came un-welded or so they though.
all it needed was a screw and a nut , I even went and knocked on the door just to make sure they were throwing it away, they told me the table was broke and that's why they were get rid of the set

down here in sydney we have roadside shopping (council cleanups for the PC) every 6 months, on a permanent cycle around sydney. ie, theres one on somehwere at any given moment.

a lot of people making their living from it, scrap scrap scrap.

my sister tells me to do what her hubby (in germany) does... E-waste. grab tellies, stereos, etc, gut them, fill up a container full of circuit boards, get around 50c a kilo or more. that makes about 12K for one standard 20' container (24,000 kg payload).

if i had a car and car license, i would be!

ive found old tube amps (getting scarce) that with a polish on the case and maybe a bit of fiddling in the guts, can be sold for over $2000...

a few RC cars(nitro ones, not them silly budget cheap 27Mhz ones), two complete with radio, one almost complete, various others in various conditions... postie bikes (ct110's), pushbikes, a LATHE, and there was something i thought of a minute ago but now its a mental blank...

Kind of makes me laugh, as that is what got me into this mess(MBing). My wife likes to hit yard sales and I don't. Often I will see a yard asle sign and avoid it without her seeing it. However often I feel guilty and will set aside a weekend and let Her enjoy them. Every time I do this I end up the winner, not Her. Took her to one and purchased these items(all new and in thier cases $5 ea.) belt sander, battery drill w/2 batt, router, sabersaw. I asked why he was selling them, his response was "My father inlaw died and I'm getting rid of all his JUNK". The worst part is that he had a 1949 roadmaster(complete but rough) for $15, and I bought it.
That was to be my first MB, little did I know how much time and $ this new hobby would eat over the past 4 years LOL.

Riely-seat 009.jpgRiely-seat 008.jpgRiely-seat 007.jpgGot around to covering the bare metal seat. Used a gray leather and matching decal.

Back