Please Help. Rear Engine Is Stumbling.

The TL series are 'conventional' two-strokes, and are probably what was used as the control group for the comparison. (It would be logical - start with the TL, modify it to become the TLE, compare results.) Whether that is actually what happened, we won't know.

Anyway. Mitsubishi has posted some additional info. It's referenced here. On this post there are two links. The one that was in the quoted section points to the original Mitsubishi cut-sheet for their small engine line. It's a pretty big document, though, which takes a while to load. I've chopped out much of the extraneous, non-TLE info & created a new PDF that you can take a look at (the second link.) The last page of the PDF file has environmental specs & shows where the TLE line, as well as a couple of their conventional two-strokes, fall. The conventional two strokes just met the older CARB Tier 1 compliance, but do not for Tier 2 or Tier 3. TLE series engines do meet Tier 3, which is about 25% of the allowable emissions of tier 1.

Per that diagram, a few of Mitsubishi's conventional 2-strokes produced about 4 times the emissions as the TLE line, and barely made the old, Tier1 compliance. If you download the entire document, several TL series engines are still marketed, but, none of them (apparently) met the old emissions compliance requirements.

Note that the diagram seems to show that the TLE43 has the same emissions as the TLE23. That is incorrect. The numbers are emissions in grams per KW (1.34 HP) per hour. Since the TLD43 produces about twice the horsepower, when you divide the total emissions mass in grams by the power produced for an hour, the results are roughly equal.

Last edited:
What Is A Kirf?

:unsure:A kirf is an invitation to continue your "discussion" via PM.

Agreed Z,it was uncalled for.We don't allways get it right and sometimes are misinformed.Let's just agree on this:TL(E) engines are all great engines,and leave it at that.As a 2stroke fan,I admire the elegant improvement they came up with their statified charging scheme.Running an engine 'rich' does boost output,so it could well be that the earlier engine was a bit more powerful.

... I definitely agree, they are both great engines. My experiences with both engines are great. I am very fond of the original TL43. I was misinformed on or I misinterpreted the stratified system, I still believe I read about it holding some unburnt exhaust for the next combustion cycle. But when we got our first crate of the new TLE engines, a mitsu rep came and he explained the stratified design to us, and summarized it as being pretty much the same engine just a little cleaner and a little less powerful, but not much of a difference in either category. And when i read the report on their two stroke stratified design, I thought I understood it, but apparently not. Especially from what I am seeing off these newer articles and brochures.

oh well, all I know from riding both engines is they are mostly the same, with a different power band and octane taste. But they dont smell different or have any difference in fuel economy and they both are bulletproof engines(as long as you have oil). Nonetheless I am still devoted to the small mitsu's, and am really lookin forward to trying out a TLE48.

That is quite likely,I thought about that later,and it occurred to me that 2 strokes could have a (inadvertently) built-in EGR setup.Compression ratios in 2 strokes are usually lower than in other engines,which generally is associated with lower combustion temps and less NOs.,so it may not make that much diference.I suppose the TLE 48 is a 48cc displacement engine,would that displace the 43cc ?,it's only a10% increase in size.

Back