PNW MB.c Mini Rally October 15-17

Looks like I missed out on a sweet ride...dang! I can't wait until there are pics of 15 or 20 bikes all lined up infront of the berry patch.

Man it looks like you all had fun. So Augie. Now you've ridden a Happy Time, a Rack and a Whizzer. Comparison?

onions, roses, and sand between our toeses

Well the mini rally was an earth-shattering event of triumphs, goodwill, brotherhood, and preachin' the MB.c gospel! It's so hard to know where to begin, when really in my soul it has yet to end. I keep reliving every moment, over again and again in my mind.
It was a whirlwind; a blitz of riding and comraderie!
I started out monday morning by shutting off my alarm clock, and oversleeping my planned day.
Monday is really my saturday as I work friday, sat, and sunday- three twelve hour days that really take their toll, so mondays i usually lay about all day recouperating. Nuff' said there...
Anyway, I looked over my stable and really the only bike that was running, mostly complete, and had capability of being semi-reliably road (and weather) worthy was the Whizzer. BUT i had lost my license plate on the road somewhere, so I dug through all my junk until I found the current registration. I had errands to run prior to hitting the highway including getting new registration and plates at the DMV (fun!:rolleyes:).
SO to shorten this tale and get to the meat and potatoes of it all, I loaded the WHizzer on to the bike rack on the back of my Dart, and I didn't leave Tacoma at 8:30 a.m. as planned but around Noon.
It's all good. I called ahead to let my comrades know the score...
Three hours later, I rolled into Ocean Park with "Guitar Town" by Steve Earle blasting out the speakers at unneccesary levels and with a "canary that ate the cat" grin on my face to boot!
(see pic. in Augi's post)
I was greeted by Augi and Beach cruisin' at the front entrance to MB.c PNW Central, and once the formalities were taken care of, we we popped a top and got straight down to brass tacks- the serious business of looking over each other's rides and discussing MB.c fun!
Shortly after, Wavygravy stopped by for a quick hello and to have look at the bikes! So there we are, doing what we were all born to do- living, breathing, hangin- all about the bikes and friends!!!
After a short bull session, I was told i had to ride Sabrina, to get a feel of who she is. Okay then, I can dig that!
Now before I go any further, I feel Imust place a word of disclaimer here:
I test rode Sabrina 2.1, in the pictures you will notice that I am not wearing a DOT approved helmet. While I firmly believe in the freedom of choice, letting those that ride decide! I personally believe in wearing a helmet and want to say that I nearly always do. But this test ride was right in front of the 'mad pad', and at a very low speed. I just didn't want to give the impression that I condone or promote unsafe/illegal riding practices.
Okay, so I had the priveledge of test riding Sabrina 2.1! Boy, I'm already sold on the GEBE kit for another build- it has the same rack feel of my first few motored bikes, but the firm drive of the belt set-up similar to the whizzer.
It's really a great system and I'll probably have one by next summer's national rally...
Well the rains were coming, and we needed to ride! So we suited up in our rain gear, and then hit the road. I was given a brief whirlwind tour of some of the local hangouts, and of some of the places we would explore more the following day. The skies then opened up. Didn't bother us, we didn't melt so forward on my brothers! We kept the movement, the momentum. In a bit of silliness I was riding down the road with my mouth open and tongue hanging out catching rain! I live for fun, and this,my friends, is it!!!
At one point, it was raining so hard the belts on my whizzer began to slip and I was revving up but only moving at around 25 M.P.H.
So what, we're moving and moving together. There was an electricity in the air and the sounds of exhaust. The ringa-dinga buzz-buzz of the GEBE bike, the ring-ring whaaa buzz of the happy time, and the lubba-lubba whavroom of the whizzer- we were drenched, smiling ear to ear, and sounded like maniacal mechanicals buzzing down the roads!
Now by this time darkness had settled in to drown the day's light, but we were good, and we all pretty near naturallly settled into a safety chain riding order- Augi in front with his bright headlight, Cruisin center man with moderate headlight, me in the rear with bright headlight and bright tail/brake lamp. We stopped by Quay and Crusin's place to catch our breath, and these gracious hosts were not phased one bit by us dripping in the front room of their home. How cool is that? They must be motorbikers, no?!?
Well, tenative plans were made, and we were once again off to live the life; free, fun, and just rolling where the winds would take us. Augi and I headed out to the store to pick up a few supplies and I was introduced to a fan who worked at the store. Real nice fellow who really needs to get up and rolling in the saddle himself- he's got the natural enthusiasm and curiosity that smacks of a lifelong love affair of motoredbike and rider...
Anyway, we rolled past MB.c Central, dropped of some of the supplies, used the facilities, then headed back to Cruisin'/quay's clubhouse.
(By the way, that bus would make the perfect PNW-MB.c clubhouse guys-hint, hint!
LOL)
When we arrived we stripped out of our layers of rain and riding gear, and settled in for pizza, pepsi, and great, fun conversation! New friendships were forged, brotherhood was catalyzing!
After a few, we rolled out, rain was still a happening, and we still didn't care. It would have taken a jack hammer to remove my permagrin!
We roilled back to Central, where Augi and I settled in for the night. We discussed MB.c business, and the plans for tomorrow's coming, the first of which being to use the PNW club's new tool kit to install the rear fender on Sabrina, so that the ol' Augidog didn't have to ride around all day with a 'skunkstripe' of road grime up his back.
Let me, if i may, interject a moment here-
The PNW riders are a rare breed in today's world- these folks hearken back to the earliest days of riding two wheeled engines. They all share and share alike, the are truly a community, they give to each other, and give freely, with no thought of return. They help each other out, swapping parts and tools; everything is done with, and from the heart. **** these folks might as well have been the same folks of post war california...* who are the legends of the biker world, it is the same sense of commraderie, family, friendship, and perhaps above all else- fun. What's the point in breathing, if you're not having fun, right?
Anyway, sorry for that moment, but it's important that y'all understand that. these riders and the way they live is the epitome of what we are all about and trying to promote. Yet, They don't just talk it, they freakin' live it every single day of their lives. I wish I could say the same, but I'm tryin, you know? I try...
After a sound sleep I awoke with einstein hair, and grabbed some coffee. We chilled for a little bit, and then started in on getting that fender on.
Part way through, we heard the familiar buzz of a happy time engine...
Yup! Cruisin' was back and ready to roll. We finished the delicate surgery of fender trimming and mounting, and we were off...
Sorry folks but you'll have to wait a little bit to hear the rest. I have to go take care of today's business before I lose time and light.
Chack back this evening for gory details of the rest of this adventure...
:p
* please read the book: "the true stories of the real wild ones- tales of the boozefighters motorcycle club" you'll understand my reference point.
And it's a darned good book!

Last edited by a moderator:
More of the story...

The weather was supposed to be rain showers off and on all day long. So we geared up. Well two of us did, one of our comrades does not own any, and let me tell ya', you wanna talk about who's a hardcore fun loving bike rider? The soaking of our previous night's adventure didn't seem to phase him one bit, and he was ready to go again first thing the next day! Good on ya' Cruisin, that's right on...
Most of you will already know what I speak of when talking about the infection of riding these vehicles, it's not just a sunday cruise, or a 'nice little hobby for pop'. For some that may be, and there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with that, but these folks I was ridin' with have it bad! Kinda like I do. and it just doesn't matter what the weather is gonna do, it's about putting an engine or motor on your bike and going for it.
Anyway, we took a couple of pic.s and started our machines for the day's adventure. Where were we going? Didn't know, didn't care. I was just following the leaders! We cruised around and into town to 'The Berry Patch' which, by the way, is a real cool little diner, and evidently the hangout for the 'Beach Barons' car club! There was an array of rod run event posters and other automotive related ephemera lininng the walls of this cool little joint. We ordered lunch and went back outside while waiting for our food. Augi was the last one to come back in and when he does he's animated and talking with a couple of fellas who had been checking out our bikes. As it turns out they had worked together building a happy time ride for one of them and the other was getting serious about his own! The darndest things happen in this Crazy MB.c world. Naturally we all turned him on to the website- stickers were handed over, and we enjoyed some great food and better conversation. We finished up eating, said a few quick good byes to our new friends, and headed out for another picture, and then off we went, riding the beautiful tree lined curvatious roadways of this area. We motored on, and at one point I clocked Augi and his machine at a consistant 29 M.P.H., I clocked Cruisin at a consitent 30. I dropped back a bit behind both, then let off some more. I rolled the throttle a touch, adjusted the choke,Then BAM! I rolled hard on the throttle, leaned into a speed tuck, and shot past 'em! I topped out at 42 M.P.H. before I let off. I pulled aside and looked back to see my other comrades as a couple of dots moving towards me. I waited for them to pass, before I fired up the beast, and fell into position. We would swap places from time to time, we would ride side by side at times. We were just rolling along amongst the trees and asphalt. Cresting a rise there's the water of the bay, and we followed along for a time, then off along more lush density of more forested roads. We wound around and around, twisting and turning, chasing long straight, if not lumpy and bumpy, road surfaces to find our way again to go around the curves. We found our way to the cemetery which we had briefly stopped by on the previous afternoon's ride. It's a very serene and scenic little park, and a good place to stretch and take a short break. So we parked the bikes and started to chill when a pick up truck comes along, and of course I had parked right in the driving path.
Typical me...
So we 're hanging when this fella in the truck turn out to be a local dude who these guys know, and has a whizzer or two. Cool! See?!? This whole thing just keeps unfolding, with people coverging. Perhaps not really conscious, or knowing why, they come. They find themselves here in Ocean Park. They come, and they gather at the center of the known motoredbike universe...
:)
So you know we chilled, stretched, we shook out our legs and whatnot a bit. It was decided that ledbetter point was the next destination to be had. I was told that this ride is one of the best on the penninsula, I'm inclined to think it's one of the best anywhere. I've been to a couple of places on a motoredbike, and I really do feel that if you miss out on this one, you missed out. It's beyond description. It just has to be experienced. So we get it together and fire up the rides, being very respectful in this place of rest, we make our way out the gateway to...
:eek::
Sorry kids. I didn't get back from my errands and such until late so I didn't get started soon enough before bedtime. Since I have to get up at 4:30 A.M. for work it's now well past my bedtime, so I guess you'll just have to wait until tomorrow evening to get to the really good stuff!
Sorry...
;)
Talk to y'all tomorrow! :devilish:

that whizzer sure caught my attention when she blasted past, it sounded
great...and they sure are in a class all their own.

rif's not over-romanticizing the local atmosphere, it's really as karmic as he
describes & this place is often referred to as "the end of the world" :)

this will help you picture our adventure as you read "uncle_punk's bedtime stories for true motoredbikers" http://www.funbeach.com/maps/local.html

rif, i'm dying to find out what happens next, you're making it fun all over again. i finished up the cookies & milk while i read chapter 2. dudeski, you are one heckuva writer :cool:

Thanks! I'm just hacking this off as I recall what adventures we had...
Man it was the best. I just kept looking at the picture of the whizzer i keep in my toolbox, and daydreaming all day at work today... Most guys have pictures of their kids, wife, best girl; I have my motoredbikes pictures in my toolbox.
To all my fellow motored bros (and sistahs of course!), I have to appologize, I had a very hard and not great day at my twelve hour job today, and i just don't have it in me to write tonight. mY sincerest appologies, I hope you all can understand...
:-(

Harassment gone awry at ledbetter...

And so through the cemmetery gates we respectfully roll. Once we hit the pavement we roll on the throttle, and we're off! Again the scenery rushing by with the wind in our ears (and the motors' respective buzz, whine, and rumble) is absolutely breathtaking! The sun above, drifting down playfully through the trees creating patterns of light and shadow on the roadway and forest floor is like an abstract leaded glass window. Such is the majesty of this wonderland. And so we play- we race; not to win, and with nothing to lose, but only to enjoy each other's company. We are all together in this, none rides alone. And finally through the curves and straight racing shots, we come to the end of the paved road. Upon a dirt (or more appropriately, a mud) path. we barely slow; only enough to transition to the surface. Around curves, and up the rises we ride. Suddenly from around a curve there's a car taking up the trail, but we get by just fine. Around and up, and around another car, when suddenly Cruisin's back wheel is locked and he's fishtailing into a jacknife!!! I let off and gently brake unable to do anything more but watch in horrified anticipation of the first bit of carnage of our great adventure. He's a darn good rider, that Beach Cruisin'- he pulled it out at the last possible moment and didn't go down! So with a laugh, and a few shouts back and forth, we pulled into the parking lot of the park known as Ledbetter Point...
Ledbetter Point is the very northernmost tip of the Long Beach Penninsula, and is it ever a sight to behold! Though I did not have chance to explore and absorb all this as much as i would have liked for no sooner had we parked the bikes above the beach, than a wonderful, spirited older gentleman and his wife came up the beach to leave. HE steps up and says, "Nice bikes, but they're not for me... They Don't have engines!"
Augidog and I nearly simutaneously said, "Look again!"
From there on out, the Karma of this magical motoredbike Mecca, stepped in again, and we spent nearly 45 minutes talking with our new found friends:
John and Yvonne Friend!!! It was a real treat to talk with these folks, and by the end of our conversation they were all but sold on the MotoredBike idea!!!
So we wandered on the beach a bit and as it was getting time to go meet another of the great personalities of Ocean Park, we headed towards our rides and began to gear up. Another fellow comes up and starts to talk about the bikes with us, unfortunately (and I appologize wholeheartedly to to this gentleman) I cannot for the life of me remember his name. Anyway, we were rushed and as such couldn't spend quite enough time talking with him.
Anyway, he is a land sail racer (?), and has this wild trike lookin' thing to which a sail is attached and he races along the beach! How cool is THAT?
Well for a couple of different reasons he's looking for another hobby in addition to the sailing, and really seemed to like the idea of our bikes (Another soul who likes things that roll and go...) with their engines. So after a much too brief conversation we headed out. The trail was easy coming in to the beach area, getting out was to prove a bit more difficult! it was rolling down into the beach, to the parking area was up. I got the cantankerous beasyt of mine fired up but couldn't quite keep up enough speed (while going at a pedestrian safe slowness) to keep her running. I tried again by going part way down another trail, fired it up, turned around and zipped it up a litle ways. Almost at the top of the trail my pony dies again. So i just pushed it up to the parking area and then fired it up, only to pull up to Augi and Cruisin, so I can shut it down, and park again.
LOL
This is where we took a picture of the bikes with the dude's trike sail thing, where we also spoke with him again briefly, and started out again.
I heard Augi holler for me to take the lead, so lead I did! Zipping along back down that twisting gravel and mud path at an unsafe speed was thrills enough to chill! It was great! So we get back to the paved road and off we head towards Dee's place. We were once again playin' and all when up ahead I see augi signal, point and slow a bit. Further ahead I look, to see a big dang ol' Black Bear crossing the road at a leisurly pace, as if he (or she) had not a care in the world!
Holy Cow!!! I've never seen a bear outside of captivity, out in it's natural environment! I can't even begin to describe the power and majesty of this creature! It was so awesome!
Again if I may interject here, throughout all of this, there were many hilarious, bumbling monments, moments of humorous self depreciating comments, such as refering to ourselves as the three stooges, and as any of you that ride with friends will know, just gemneral goofing around. Just bear that in mind while reading; picturing us riding along and hanging out, all the while acting like grown-up, adult 9 year olds...
So it was off to have a nice little lunch at Dee's place. We rolled on, and around, through the woods to the flats. I have no idea where I am for most of this, mind you, I'm just following along.
When we pull up to a nice yellow house, shut 'em down, and kick the beasts on to their stands.
Tune in tomorrow- Same Bat time, Same Bat channel, to get to the conclusion of this tale of wonder and mystery...
Sorry guys but i've got to get up early one more day for work. But tomorrow I can stay up 'late' and finish the story!
:cool:

Wow. I'm speachless. What an amazing adventure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back