possible idea for variable speed belt drive

did you look at the link i posted earlier, that supplied ALL the dimensions of the variable pulleys they stocked, as they are an INDUSTRIAL supplier? obviously not.

maybe try google cus i can find at LEAST five manufacturers of pulleys that supply ALL dimensions.

I downloaded lovejoy's catalog and found out they do have variable pulleys for 5/8 shaft. I also checked their site and found there is a distributor only a couple miles away. Now just a matter of finding out prices. Have to call the local distributor for that.

Lovejoy's cheapest model is $124. I can get a whole cvt for that price. As a matter of fact, I can probably get variable pulley from a 3/4 cvt and buy an adapter sleeve for way less than that. I'm gonna email treatland and see what they have to say.

I emailed treatland and all their variators are for tapered shafts. I might be better off ordering a cvt and taking the variator out and getting a shaft adapter sleeve, but that might end up costing as much as a variable pulley. I will have to keep looking, I guess.

I searched ebay for cvt. The cheapest one is at $36, but 8 people are bidding on it and I can't afford the shipping this week. I will check around more when I have some extra $$ again.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
$85 plus $12 for shipping is cheaper than my local dealer, but I had another idea. A stepped pulley might be able to be shifted without having to do it by hand. A front derailleur turned around backwards might work with the spring-loaded, lever operated belt idler. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I think it could work. I would set the tension in high gear, then the lever would pull the idler off the belt and I could shift, then release the lever and the idler goes back to its position. This would only work with two pulleys, so the larger pulley would have to match my current ratio, and the smaller pulley would give me just a little more torque. Any thoughts?

Or instead of a stepped pulley, two of the size pulleys I want. That would work a lot better.

For anyone who doesn't completely understand what I meant, I will be able to slip the belt and shift gears. I actually like this idea anyway, because even a manually controlled variator can still shift into low if it's not set up exactly right. With two pulleys and an idler clutch, it can only shift if I shift it manually.

Back