Possible Law Enforcement Motorised Bikes!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sgt. Howard, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Thursday I am going down to Wenatchee to talk with the bicycle patrol- they cannot get enough officers who want to pedal bikes uphill. I will be demonstrating one of my units- there is talk of replacing all their 30 bikes with motor assisted units. Might be the next step with these things insofar as to where they are going. I will post my results Thursday or Friday.
    the Old Sgt.

2. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Just be sure to set them up with HT engines.
    Anyone with a 4-stroke will then be able to out run them! :jester:.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. bairdco

bairdco New Member

if you set them up with HT's, i figure 25 out of 30 will have the standard breakdowns, so pretty much anyone will be able to outrun them. and you'll hear the remaining 5 coming from miles away after the end caps fall of the mufflers...:)
  4. brett7777

brett7777 Member

all the best with it, I hope you get the contract!
  5. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

I drill & cotter that nut on the bottom of the exhaust. I also re-solder the ground on the mill before I even mount it. I refuse to use the rag mount. I have cured the issues with the new carb. I have solved the issue of chain clearance on the left side. All connections get lock-tite or heavy grease depending on need. I typically burn 1/2 a tank, roughly 33 miles, before I turn a bike over to a customer- customer gets a full detailed operation and finish the break-in period instructions from somebody who speaks English from a tender age.
    - have I missed something?
    the Old Sgt.
    PS- I used to be a Jaguar Mechanic- these things are much easier to keep running!:grin5:
  6. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

7. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Heh, good luck.

The town where I live bought two Segways for the PD a couple years back if you can believe that. :rolleyes7:
    Something tells me if the PD wanted motored bicycles they'd probably go electric.
  8. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

commercially made electrics might be the most "practical" from certain perspectives, but I think huge factors are going to be-- does the city/town want to support a small business endeavor?

I live in Milwaukee, so it's a NO BRAINER that our motorcycle cops ride Harleys. (A lot of people who don't like Harleys will argue that there are motorcycles that are cheaper to maintain and are more reliable.) Well, maybe Sarge lives in a smaller community, and the police know and respect him, and the police actively want to cultivate a local small business. So, from THAT perspective, buying locally-built motor bikes help cultivate a local business and local PRIDE in small business...
  9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

'Milwaukee Thunder' for Milwaukee sure, lol but HD is no small business.

As I said good luck, but these municipal decisions usually end up going with what's politically correct
  10. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

No, HD is no "small business", but there are "smarter" choices for motorcycles when it comes to cheaper maintenance.
  11. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Actually, Wenatchee is a hilly local. They tried electrics- one good hill was too much. They've also had a run of strong arms where the perps get away on bicycles during rush hour- these bikes will put a stop to that. My bikes are running with 'black cat' mufflers- they are actually quite 'green'.
    Wenatchee is near four hours' drive south of where I live. I doubt they are worried about supporting a local buisness as much as they are worried about getting the job done. My bikes will do the job. I will be demonstrating with the 'Black Rat', my bottom-of-the-line civilian model. The MPB mkI (Motor Patrol Bike) will have options not avaliable to civilians in this state, including a bigger engine... more for carry capacity than speed. Cops are exempt of the 50cc rule that this state imposes.
    As a gunsmith, I have dealt with Cops as customers before- I have some idea as to what they see as important. If I get the contract, I will be working hand-in-hand with the patrol officers in the design of the bike- something the electric bike people havn't tried doing yet. Given the nature of electrics at this time, they might not be capable of such.
    I strongly suspect that this introduction might well change the landscape for both motored bikes and law enforcement- we'll see what happens. Hopefully, both wil benefit.
    the Old Sgt.:sweatdrop:
  12. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Bad news and good news

... well, after understanding bicycle tactics a bit, I have to admit that for the most part, putting a motor on a Cop bike does the Cop no favor... at least, not the way they are useing them. I COULD motorize one of their rigs, but these things have a hard enough time dealing with what the Cop will do to it... these guys apparently bust chains on a routine basis... and wheels, forks, frame suspension componants, cranks, anything that recieves a boot or a hand. I saw one of their rigs- Frankenweld!!! Plus, NO coaster brakes! They 'rachit' drive these things, inch fraction by inch fraction, while standing in the pedals barely moving so's to see OVER a crowd without being noticed.When they DO take off, any noise gives the game away. So, no motors... they did think it is a cool bike, though...
    Meanwhile, there's a fellow running a bike shop down there who wants to be a dealer for these things! More $$$ in Wenatchee than here, so we're working out the details. All-in-all not too shabby... just not what I'd planned.
    the Old Sgt.:whistling:
  13. matman55

matman55 Banned

all i can say is that if the cops get them the gerneral public should to, and the same laws shoud aply when not chasing someone down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.