Engine Trouble Possibly carb issue but not sure

dotcom

Local time
3:34 PM
I would like some feedback about why it boggs alot and the idle screw is all the way in and still at a fairly low idle and want to cut off if I dont stay reving but when I rev it during idle, it sounds great without any hesitation or bogging like features but when I try to take off, it struggles badly and boggs and wont exceed about 12mph. It was working fine before and I checked and replaced all gaskets and made sure there are no air leaks but it appears its something with the carb. I made sure the needle is in properly all the way down and even tried 2 gaskets near the float bowl since it did appear to be spitting gas near the air filter and around the new gas line that I just installed. I have been using #66 jet with great results for quite some time now. I have tried raising and lowering the eclip needle setting but that only changes things alittle so it's back to where its been on the 2nd from top notch. I removed the air filter for the first time just for experimenting purposes and that does shows a slight difference but not what I was looking for . I took the carb apart to clean it before the first fire up on the new frame and it has been difficult to diagnose. The seals seem to be fine too since when I rev during idle it sounds perfect.

I'd go back to one gasket, then check the float level. It sounds like you have an NT that is running rich. With carb upside down, sight across the float to see just a tiny bit of the main sticking thru - 1/2 the jet sticking thru is richer, not sticking thru is leaner.

I'd also try the top notch to see how that runs, if too lean it's easy to put it back.

sight across the float to see just a tiny bit of the main sticking thru.

Can you be more specific and technical with what this above means?

can't get out to the shop right now, but measurement from the gasket to top of float should be 21mm (or 27 as I can't recall without looking it up, but it should be obvious when you look which it should be)

that certainly is lean rather than rich - hard to get that lean without something stuck in the fuel inlet path or a major air leak somewhere at the intake path

at the shop now - float setting is from the gasket seat (with gasket removed) to top of float equals 21mm

Back