Problems at high rpms. Engine tries to die.

K

Karamil

I've searched and haven't found anything that sounds like my problem where the solution is not something i've already done.

Here's the problem. About a week or so ago I was heading to the store when my bike started not wanting to go over about half throttle. It kinda felt like it was being starved of gas or, just wanting to die then picking back up so when I went home I pulled and cleaned out the carb. Usually when this happened there was something caught in the jets but it was clean.

The problem persisted so I went ahead and got an inline fuel filter and dug out an old carby from the closet and cleaned it out real good then installed it and the fuel filter. This did not fix the problem either.

The weather has been kinda damp so I thought it might be water in the gas so i drained my gas tank and put fresh gas in it. The problem persisted still. Frustrated I decided to change out my spark plug. Put a bran new NGT plug in, grabbed my backup CDI and installed both of those. The problem still persists. I've fiddled with the mixture control inside the carb from the top notch to the bottom notch. It runs best where it was when i started and does the same thing at all notches.

Now i'm exasperated and really don't know what to check or replace next. Thinking of replacing the magneto in the morning and seeing if that helps. It almost reminds me of a governor on the engine or something. It will get about 3/4 of the way to full rpm then drop to about half rpm no matter if i'm riding it or just revving it.

Any ideas??

It could be a bad electrical connection between the magneto and ignition coil, a bad sparkplug, a bad sparkplug wire, a bad ignition coil, a bad magneto,
a plugged up exhaust, or even an intake leak.

Found the problem. It was my kill switch. I bypassed the kill switch and now the bike runs fine except for a bit of a flooding problem due to all the fiddling i was doing with the carb. I'm going to install a simple on/off switch instead of a new kill switch.

thanks for the help

Back