Recommend a bike for my 7 mile one way commute?

Update: After much consideration and reading countless threads, I've decided to go for a Schwinn Clairmont ($160 at Wallyworld) and a LiveFastMotors sprocket adapter ($70) so I'm not putting more stress on the 14g spokes than necessary. Will use the ragjoint donut until that one comes in the mail.

I might or might not have to get better v-pull brakes (around $50) from a LBS. I can upgrade to a springer fork later if so desired ($60). It's not clear if I will have to do that as the tires are already pretty thick and so they should absorb shocks somewhat well as-is. My commute is on smooth roads.

Additionally, I will either skip the idler pulley and just tension the wheel correctly (cut the chain to the exact length), making use of the 7-speed pedal side's idler pulley spring for that chain, or get a LiveFast springloaded idler pulley ($30). I will likely have to do the latter as the engine chain will stretch over time.

Will get some tire liners and slime for the tubes. Don't want flats at 25+MPH, no sir!

I can get this bike immediately and start saving gas immediately, which in itself will save at least $100 over the delayed delivery of the Worksman (6 weeks+). It has a rack and fenders (and yes I've read the fender thread).

And if it's not the right bike I haven't lost much money. I can sell it for $75 on Craigslist and only risk around $100. I'll also be able to fix and sell the last bike and pick up around $75.

Thanks to everyone in this great forum for your help!

If you could get them and i doubt you could. I would say buy any CCM bike. They are tough bikes and prices are usually good too. But i guess i'm biased since they are a Canadian bike.

Regardless of what you buy upgrades are going to be needed. So often times you're better off getting a good used bike and installing the upgraded parts on it.

Back