Recommendations needed: cool-weather gloves with ergo padding

AlphaGeek

Local time
1:40 AM
While I might live in the sunny SF Bay Area, it does get downright chilly in the mornings near (and especially crossing over) the Bay, even this early in the fall season. My hands weren't quite numb from the cold when I got to work this morning, but a few degrees cooler and I wouldn't have been able to feel them. I got my fill of nearly-frozen digits rowing on the Potomac in high school and don't care to revisit the joys of thawing out my hands so I can work the fasteners on my clothing.

I'm currently riding with a nice pair of Specialized gel-padded gloves with mesh back. I like that the fingertip surfacing enables me to control my iPhone touchscreen (i.e. if I pull over to take a call) but those mesh backs do absolutely nothing to keep my hands warm.

Any recommendations on bike gloves (or even low-profile motorcycle gloves) which will keep my hands warm and the nerves in my palms undamaged? Touchscreen compatibility would be nice but not strictly required.

Note that I don't need true winter-season gloves -- on the rare mornings it gets below 40F here I will most likely be driving to work. :) Something comfortable in the 40F-70F range would be perfect.

-AG

Maybe you could consider some padded mechanic's gloves and some of those hand and foot warmers that hunters use. You know the sort of thing I mean; you shake them and after a few minutes they warm up. They're not very expensive. In your climate, I would think something like that would be plenty. No iPhone use with something like that, but you could always pull a glove off.

I saw some gloves in R.E.I. outfitters that have a pocket over the back of the hand to hold those orange instant heat pads. I've used them in my workboots for construction in wind chills in the teens for hours at a time, they should be great for the hands.

Thanks so much for all of the replies so far.

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear, in which case I apologize. The solutions proposed thus far in this thread are slightly overkill for where I live. Here's what I'm looking for:
* Ergo padding to keep pressure off the nerves in my palm on my ~17mile commute ride
* Breathable but wind/water-proof
* No chem or electric heating required :)

I'll be in REI later this week (hopefully) to pick up the cargo rack and other stuff I have on order, so REI-specific advice is particularly welcome.

-AG

Alpha

Up here in Buffalo, Walmart has gloves that are thin wieght, stretchy sort of Goretex. Many people use them for fishing as they are also waterproof. They are under $15 and stretch to almost 150% original size. They are full fingered and offer excellent feeling to the tips. They have a low slip palm (made of soft rubber).

17 miles is a long commute. Unfortunately these gloves do little to protect your palms. Perhaps you can find the perfect size to fit over your originals or line your handles with softer grips. Thin wall pipe insulation?

Get a regular pair of bicycle finger-less gloves with the ergo padding already built in, then go to your local cheapie store, wal-mart, costco, ikes dollar general or what ever, and get a pair of those cheap cotton gloves. Put the cheap gloves on, then the bike gloves on over them. That's what I've done for the last 10 winters here in Memphis. It does get cold sometimes and they work good for that but they aren't too warm when it's only down in the 50's.

Great idea, thanks.

Actually, I'll keep an eye out for fingerless ergo riding gloves that would fit over my thinnest winter-sports gloves. Hard to beat the price of stuff you already own, right? :)

-AG

Nunya

Interesting.... Didn't know you had winter in Memphis!

Oh that's right, Elvis did do "Blue Christmas", hahaha! Just jokin!

Back