Ring gap

Thank you guys again...I ordered the gauge and wheel. Just want to be done. I'm very obsessive and when I'm doing a project I can't do other things. It's bad 😔
1 way to look at it, you got the tools now. So if you plan on keeping moped, they are good to have. If you decide to sale the bike, then list the tools with the bike, oh of course at a increased price. It takes time to do quality work!!!

I'm keeping this moped forever. Actually my father is in his 70s And my uncle gave it to him. When he first asked me if I have time to mess with it I didn't want to deal with it. But once he brought it home and I saw how happy he was I just fell in love with the thing. My main goal was just to get it a little more power acceleration and going uphill for him. But I have so much fun myself driving this thing

But what's confusing me is that I'm pretty sure I marked top dead center correctly, and I used a ruler to get a decent measurement of 2° before top dead center. How am I off by 8° Is that even adjustable? I had the stator turned all the way to the right. So in my head I don't have any more adjustability

Man it's tough to find the exact moment the points open by eye. Got a timing gauge hooked up. I'm trying to use a continuity tester to find the exact point where the points open. But everything is grounded so the thing keeps beeping. Any suggestions on finding an accurate way the points open?

Attachments

• 20221213_124640.jpg
    20221213_124640.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 49
I really don't know how or why you expect to get pin point, split second, precision and accuracy like your looking for from mechanically operated points, I have never known that type of precision dealing with points to ever exist in working with them since I was 14 years old...That was 53 years ago until present date in time...lol.

There was a reason why everything went to digital electronic ignition systems rather than analog mechanical ignition systems...lol...Pin point precision and accuracy...lol...lol.

Man it's tough to find the exact moment the points open by eye. Got a timing gauge hooked up. I'm trying to use a continuity tester to find the exact point where the points open. But everything is grounded so the thing keeps beeping. Any suggestions on finding an accurate way the points open?
Idk why you couldn't use a old Christmas tree light bulb & a 9volt battery tied into the points side of wiring. Then 1 side of wiring hooked to positive side of battery & the ground side to negative side. As your turning engine over, the points should make & break contact & light the bulb.

In theory I should be able to connect the continuity tester from ground to the ignition points wire. And when they open it should stop beeping. But the whole thing is metal and grounded so it keeps beeping.

That's what they were talking about in your manual about using the light method to set points.
And thats gonna be about as good as it gets using manual mechanical ignition points...lol.

But the whole thing is metal and grounded so it keeps beeping.
Hence the reason to use the light method.

In theory I should be able to connect the continuity tester from ground to the ignition points wire. And when they open it should stop beeping. But the whole thing is metal and grounded so it keeps beeping.
Yes you should be able to do that if you have a relatively expensive multimeter with the correct settings.

Back