Rob/Sub 35cc carburetor air filter soaked

later down the road -- slight miss -- sea foam

Hey you guys - I have heard a lot about sea foam on this site - new to me

new no more -- more time down the road now
the little Robin got just a slight bit slugglish -- down 2-3 mph
bought the sea foam
THINGS have picked back up to speed so it seems
ran through two or three tanks of gas -- mixed pretty rich with sea foam

today it sounded like a hoped up fine running high speed sewing machine !!!

ride that THING

gassy air filter, etc.

Hi guys!

It's been a year since you started talking about your problems with gas in air filter. I was having some problems with my R/S engine too. It starts up pretty easily but then stutters a bit when running full out. It still does over 25 mph using the lower GEBE gearing and on a mountain bike, so I'm happy with that.

From my use of other air filters associated with different applications, I'm guessing that some of that oil is that to catch minute dirt particles and came that way from the factory. K&N oil filters work that way.

I took off the covers and noticed that the filters are/were covered in oil and had the smell of gasoline on the dark filter. I am not sure why I have the gassy smell though. So I just cleaned the darker air filter with soap and water and have dried it with paper towels. I used paper towels to suck up as much of the oil off the white filter element as I could get by applying a rolling pressure over the filter between several sheets of paper toweling. Will then reinstall it and see what happens. Oh, I also pulled the sparkplug. It was covered with a gray ash, not oily or dry, so think it should be o.k.

I am going to add some Seafoam to the gas tank and try running the engine that way and see if I can emulate your results. This is my second summer with the engine on my bike and I only have just under 300 miles on it it so far. So thanks for the ideas on this thread. I'll let you know what I find out.

Dale

The gassy smell is caused by spit back from carb. nothing you can do about it. just clean foam

Oil in the air filter is a problem on Robins. Once the filter gets badly oiled it restricts air somewhat and that can cause a too rich mixture to wet the filter with gas. It comes from overfilling the crankcase. Subaru calls for 100 ccs of oil, but it is excess and gets sucked into the intake. Put in about 1/3 cup of very good oil, or fill to no more than 1/2 full on the dipstick. I prefer Castrol Syntec 5W-50 oil. It's expensive but we use such a small amount per oil change a quart lasts quite a while. Some even fill to no more than the lowest mark on the dipstick with no bad result. Clean both the white fiber and foam air filter elements with a good dish soap(I use Dawn), rinse well, and let them dry completely before reinstalling.

Back