RockSolidEngines billet head.

The airflow is the reason I had to change the jetting. When I added the velocity stack and ufo filter the bike was so lean it wouldn't even run. Over the last couple of months I've been going bigger and bigger with jet sizes and have now hit the sweet spot. I've just changed to a super cold plug as well and now the bike is running effing awesome!

Last edited:
For those with Rock Solid Engines billet heads, did you need longer cylinder studs when you fitted your billet head?
How long are your studs, if you've measured them? Mine are 107mm.
Tony at RSE says that it's wierd that my studs aren't long enough and that he's never heard of the problem before.
Also, if anyone knows where in Australia I might get 8.0mm x 1.0mm threaded rod or 110-120mm full-threaded bolts, please let me know.
Otherwise, if anyone knows a source of 8mm x 1.0mm tapping dies, I'll buy some rod and make my own if I really have to. I've been searching and can only come up with 8mm x 1.25mm.
... Steve

I didnt have to replace my head studs not sure how long they are but on mine I just took out 2 of the 4 washers (over the head that go under the nuts) that came standard on my zbox engine

on mine I just took out 2 of the 4 washers (over the head that go under the nuts) that came standard on my zbox engine

Mine is from ZBox too.
So, your studs were a little short, by the sound of it. I considered leaving the washers off, but it's not good practice. (Instead, I stripped a nut. What's good practice?)
Thanks for the input.

It would be nice if the billet heads were machined a bit deeper at the mounting studs.

I contacted Jim at Sick Bike Parts to enquire about the length of their studs.
At least they're 8.8 and not the cheap junk.

... Steve

I didnt see anything wrong with removing 2 of the 4 washers, I asked at work after I did it (im an apprentice mechanic) and everyone there said there would be no problem with it, but you need some washers otherwise you will get a leak out of the head, because if you remove all of them it doesn't create enough force.

I didnt see anything wrong with removing 2 of the 4 washers, I asked at work after I did it (im an apprentice mechanic) and everyone there said there would be no problem with it, but you need some washers otherwise you will get a leak out of the head, because if you remove all of them it doesn't create enough force.

I wasn't criticising, after all , look what happened when I left the washers on mine.
Just the same, if leaving all of the washers off can create a leak, then leaving some washers off can't be good.
Washers also reduce damage to the head during tightening and removal. A steel nut can gouge aluminium pretty deeply.
In my opinion, you were given bad advice.

... Steve

No worries then.
If, however, as a mechanic, you start leaving washers off things, you won't go far.
Bad practice for a trainee mechanic. Even as a lowly panel-beater, I was taught to always use washers.
I was only trying to give you some good advice. Don't get your hackles up.
... Steve

Back