Break In Rubbing Sound

realdealneal

Local time
10:57 AM
I have a newbie question:

When I am going slow, with or without engine running, there seems to be a rubbing sound with each revolution of the chain. It isn't metal on metal, and it happens when the clutch is completely disengaged. It is a brand new motor. Everything is aligned properly. Is this just a sound these engines make? When I am going along at speed it seems to be non-existent. Thanks for any advice!

o_O

Did you cut a piece out of the drive sprocket cover? Usually the chain rubs off the case , but that being said my bike is pretty noisy when just pedalling about I'm pretty sure its the gears in the clutch case but also from the chain rolling on the tensioner .

No, I didnt cut anything out of the drive sprocket cover. It is the basic kit from BMW, the chain isn't rubbing in that compartment, it sounds/feels like it is internal in the engine. It makes a thrumming sound while peddling and going >15mph. After that it goes away. Kind of like a rubbing sound with each revolution of the chain. I guess I can take off the cover and see if it is scarred up. Also I can try and record it tomorrow so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Back