Safe to put an engine on a woman's bike?

mary, i was over-doing, as usual...gussets are extra braces welded into the frame. the engine's my same purefire 40CC, but it's got some new bling from ada racing.

i think that jemma' & lou are right about flex not being an issue...i bet you'll know with the first ride if it is, tho, so yeah you could bail if you were careful with the bicycle.

fetor', those brackets look nicely done...and i agree about the brakes, but i always agree with "better brakes" advice, so i'll up the ante and suggest a sturmey-archer drum...aint it nice "spending" someone else's money? ;)

I have bailed with many bicycles. I like a step through frame too and the only one I found that feels right is my AMF Roadmaster moped frame and it is way thicker than a bicycle frame.

I buy used bicycles at auction and I buy a lot of women's bikes.

It is not uncommon to buy them with real nice seats, straight wheels and a bent frame. I have several of them. I buy them for parts.

Men's bikes often will have worn out seats, bent wheels and axles with a straight frame.

Mary:
I used a women's Schwinn Skyliner from Walmart. Very sturdy because they use a triangular cross bar. Check it out.
Mike

I have no plans to put an engine on a woman's bike. :giggle:

should be almost as strong ??

My boyfriend pointed out that it may not be strong enough because it lacks the top tube. He said there would be a lot of flex in the frame from the engine.

should be almost as strong ??

that's what I am thinking
see many big men riding these THINGS

let's not forget that they are engineered

MM

I installed 2.2hp Mitsubishi engines with friction drive on the front and rear wheels of my Raleigh girlie cruiser.

No major drawbacks, except the fact that the bike weighed 95lbs.:whistle:

I have no plans to put an engine on a woman's bike. :giggle:

I don't either. I have put motors on men's bikes, rode them and took the motor back off.

I don't clamp steel sprockets to the spokes anymore either. I have read too many wheel building books and have seen what it does to spokes.

I am getting pickey ! I like the way the old made in the USA iron pipe bicycles feel with a motor. I like the nice thick welds on them too. :D

http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=763929&t=763929&v=f

Last edited:
Will someone please clue me in here? Why all the perticulars about a bikes brands here. Most bikes are over build. This flex sounds like mumbo jumbo. You are only adding 14 lbs or so to any given bike. Other than some expensive and custom light bikes I cant see anyone over flexing anything. If I can measure the rear forks correctly with a the credit card then any GEBE will work. I've installed 2 Sabaru Robins on an Avalon from Walmart and Torker from the LBS. Both are quite satisfactory. Am I witnessing a tempest in a teapot here. Both are Ladies bikes. You guys sound more like your are trying to install one of those Chinese 4 cycles with the 50 lbs of chain and sprocket or something.

haha...ahem....ok, seriously...i think we've all learned a lot of lessons due to the increased sustained speed and the problems it can cause, so we're just playing it safe ;)

speaking of...i recently welded a single 1" square gusset between the front of the chainstays and sabrina-2 doesn't wobble at all anymore...my frame is unique and this method wouldn't apply (or be needed) on most bikes, but it was this topic that inspired me to finally find my solution :)

Last edited:
Back