Im trying to learn how to put an engine on my mountain bike with a spring. I'm very new to anything like this and have no clue what im doing.

k1ngkush

Local time
3:07 AM
I want to get a bike motor, some piece of crap off Amazon and put it on my mountain bike, but I need to figure out how to do it, help?

Pictures of the bike and a budget are the first things we would need to see. Those mystery kit china dolls aren't the best, a little bit more will get you one of the better made kits like something from zeda. Staton inc sells some great kits if you're looking for friction drive. Its honestly the easiest way, just attach it like a rear rack, twist and go.

If you are trying to motorize one of those Y shaped mountain bikes, you could get a friction drive kit but other than that you're sol.

Mountain bikea are amo g the harder bikes to motorize
It 100% depends...some are easier, some harder...if he puts it on a cruiser, he'll have to upgrade brakes(which is tricky to find U brakes that don't flex, and you can't use v brakes generally)

Also a decent old 90's cromo frame bike may well come with decent wheels, too, and with a 66ish cc motor there's no reason he couldn't use a rag joint.

tl;dr: mountain bikes usually come with better wheels, just don't use an aluminium frame bike.

I want to get a bike motor, some piece of crap off Amazon and put it on my mountain bike, but I need to figure out how to do it, help?
pics of the bike would be good, before you get the motor. Gotta see if it will fit and everything, and if the bike is up to it.

It 100% depends...some are easier, some harder...if he puts it on a cruiser, he'll have to upgrade brakes(which is tricky to find U brakes that don't flex, and you can't use v brakes generally)

Also a decent old 90's cromo frame bike may well come with decent wheels, too, and with a 66ish cc motor there's no reason he couldn't use a rag joint.

tl;dr: mountain bikes usually come with better wheels, just don't use an aluminium frame bike.
I used some old bmx u brakes on my cruiser build. They work good, but my wheels are the current weak link

A GT STS mountain bike would be the best choice. I saw a frame on eBay for around $600. This is the best choice for an inexperienced builder.

1699404795319.png

If the frame of the bike is aluminum you will want to reconsider. It will work short term, but most aluminum frames crack a lot sooner than steel frames when motorized. There are some exceptions, obviously, but as a whole it's a good rule of thumb. Most of us have steel frame bikes for a reason.

Found the perfect frame for you; act quickly. From what I can remember of these bikes the frame is aluminum but the rear stays are steel.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Found the perfect frame for you; act quickly. From what I can remember of these bikes the frame is aluminum but the rear stays are steel.

But as it has full suspension, the motor chain tension will continuously be changing, so he'd need to run a jackshaft, which might not be the best if he's a noob just looking to slap a motor on his mountain bike.

On the other hand, that kcvale bike is sooo hot...

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back