SBP Shift Kit - Ratios, Speeds and Pedal-starting

I did try and use the drill method to start the engine with the billet cylinder head.

It was a total failure: the 13mm magneto nut just stripped the threads on the crankshaft and the nut.
I wasn't all that unhappy as i had to rebuild the engine due to another failed connecting rod, big end bearing.

Basically, it all comes back to fitting a compression release valve.

Fabian

Or other smart method of starting. We are working on that.

A compression release is a compromise and another potential point of failure. Jim is really opposed to it on our new head. I'm on both sides, I want what customers want, within a price range. The whole thing seems way too expensive. ~$100 range.

Hi paul

Can you please give information regarding SickBikeParts new method of engine starting.

I'm kind of "very interested" in any well designed and reliable system, as it will finally give me the opportunity to run my preferred jackshaft to chainwheel ratio (9T to 48T).

Fabian

Fabian said:
Can you please give information regarding SickBikeParts new method of engine starting.

Actually no. Not yet. We are working on it. I think a few trials might be in order (and the least we can do) before we write something in public.

In the meantime I would like to remind the readers (PM'er and emailers) that over 1000 (and I am not exaggerating) users of our Shifter kit have no problems starting their bikes with the Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit installed.

My 24T chainring and 11T jackshaft sprocket arrived today. I'll set it up over the next few days. Easier starting and lower final drive ratios, along with super-low pedalling ratios. 24T chainring to 34T 1st gear cluster sprocket. (Geared down.) I'll be able to climb walls.
Will post results and a 'Sick Bike Parts' review when finished and tested.
Also got a dual-pull brake lever from SBP and fitted it this afternoon.

Yes, you certainly will be able to climb walls, but you'll be able to pull a kenworth truck if you fit a 9 tooth jackshaft sprocket, instead of the 11 tooth jackshaft sprocket.

My lowest gearing combination (at present) is:

9T Jackshaft driving a 48T Chainwheel and a 30T chainwheel driving a 36T Cassette sprocket.
That gives me some serious haulage capacity, but i've looked at the chainwheel spacing and it looks like i can physically reduce the space between the sprockets; maybe being able to attach the 24T chainwheel sprocket onto the 30T chainwheel sprocket, to give me a tripple chainwheel set that is able to drive the rear cassette.

The bottom bracket crank would then have a total of "4" chainwheels.

Fabian

A 9T would give a good final ratio, but I want the 11T for extra-easy starting. The downside is a higher chainring speed. The 24T chainring is needed to bring the final ratio back down. Can't have everything.

Your multi chainring idea sounds interesting. Will it fit?

I've looked things over, and i believe it will all fit, using the reduced width of a 9 speed chain on the jackshaft and outer chainwheel, allowing me to close up the gap between the outer chainwheel and the chainwheel next to it.

Fabian

Back