schwinn spoiler with 47cc pocketbike engine

Finally finished new bike!:D I really wanted to put a 110cc 4 stroke, 4 speed w a kickstart... but the engines weight alone freaked me out. Besides, I already had a pocket bike engine from a failed attempt at mounting it on a mountain bike with the wrong gearing (55t pocketbike sprocket) and wrong size tire (26 inch). Burned the clutch out in one day, and went slower than honey uphill in january.:rolleyes: Also, I wanted to do a spoiler no one else did, no drilling of the frame, dual FRONT disc brakes(that work!),PEDALS , hidden gas tank, and a hotrodded pocketbike engine that was'nt bone stock. I hate stock anything! This is my first real posting of pics I hope this works.

Attachments

• 16-Photo 16.jpg
    16-Photo 16.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,775
  • 14-Photo 14.jpg
    14-Photo 14.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,958
  • 08-Photo 8.jpg
    08-Photo 8.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,799
  • 12-Photo 12.jpg
    12-Photo 12.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 10-Photo 10.jpg
    10-Photo 10.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 15-Photo 15.jpg
    15-Photo 15.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,425
Thank you, fellas.....the tank is indeed in da bike bag. I used a "mosquito" gas tank from a goped site some where. The shut off valve (bottom of seat post, after filter) is a $5 gem. I think tecumseh makes it. It flows fuel like nobodys business, and is VERY light! I dont need a tickle button or primer bulb to start the motor cold. just open the valve up and she streams gobs of fuel. The original fuel shut off valves for pocket bikes is soooooooo restrictive, I had to make it better. I also replaced th' stock reed with a triple stage black widow reed....felt pretty **** good! Still breaking th' engine in though.....hard to stay out of th' throttle.;) I'll say this much, it pulls in a very linear fashion. No lag, you can coast on the idle circuit up till 15mph....then punch it and it just pulls until you let off. Nice. Sorry for th' long post.....I forgot to introduce th' name of this bike as well: Zeus (god of gods) zangetsu.( long sword) My 70cc mtb is dubbed: shinobi sinner, i'll post some pics tonight. Again, thank you for reading my post. G'day!:cool:

engine mount

So what kind of engine mount did you use or did you have to make your own.:-|

I made the mounts from scratch. 22 gauge weldable steel sheets purchased from ace hardware. This metal is the thickest that can still be cut with metal shears and bent by hand. The engine mounts consist of: three main pieces ( two straps upper, one big brace lower), two aluminum bars (actual engine mounts), one small plate of 22 gauge to tie the bars together for strength, and two torque bars ( one front, one rear) to help prevent any lateral movement. If you look at th' photos close enough......you'll notice the bicycle rubber inner tubes, wrapped with electrical tape to cushion, AND give "grip" to th' mounts. the bottom big mount, I used an oval shaped container of deoderant to shape it to fit the frame of the spoiler. LOTS of trial and error to get th' perfect fit. Good work out though!:D

That is gorgeous.

I'm very interested in speed aswell. The wheel size is disapointing, but in pa we have to go slow anyway. Very impressive looking bike. Could we get a close up of the engine and mounts?(pretty please)

(edit oh I see em now they blend in well, nice)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on the spoiler. Look at the way I set up the spoiler back wheel son. It lets you keep your back break.

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    838.8 KB · Views: 596
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    931.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    762.3 KB · Views: 497
Tank

You should check out mbmike's rear fuel tank - or maybe even one of those heineken mini kegs. That would look *****in!

Took zeus zangetsu out for a ride today to verify what th' actual top speed is. Any previous data I had was dubious since th' speedo kept acting weird. It still had th' battery that came with it when I bought it ($10), plus, I kind of babyed the throttle some. With th' 98t sprocket, 6t pinion sprocket, 12mm carb, and just 40 miles on new engine ........ I got 34.5 mph on flat level ground! I should of rode th' bike for a good 20 minutes first but I really wanted to know what it could do as well. On th' way back, the bolt for th' front torque strap broke off so I limped it home. Pretty simple fix though. Good ride! Ironwarlock, th' rear brake I put on th' FRONT, so it has dual front discs which actually work. By the way, good job on your bike, how fast does your chopper go? Is that a 49cc w piston porting? Where did you get your motor brackets from? Did you do them yourself? They look pretty expensive.

The motor mounts are made by me.(I am a machinist). Mounts are a combo of polished aluminum and nickel plated steel. Motor is a Mitsubishi TLE43, 43 cc 2.20 hp two cycle engine. It will run 35 on the flats and climb hills good. ;). Powerful little motor. I weigh 235-240 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back