Second build on a 60's Sears Cruiser

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by AnvilBlockForge, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Picked up this Sears Tank bike for 35$. I beleive it's a 63?
    I plan to have this motorized in 3 weeks. I have the frame finished, now I have to do brakes, clutch ect.
    I'm using a 148cc Briggs and Stratton 4 Stroke, single belt drive with suicide clutch. I removed the pedals, but will still be using the rear coaster brake. More photos will be up soon!

Opinions? I am thinking of not repainting it, but leaving the Patina on it. It's heavily rusted, but it's a nice reddish rust. But you can still see the original pin striping and Sears logo's. So I was thinking of just polishing the chrome, repainting the plastic cap on the lights creme and getting some nice white walls and leaving everything else the same. or should I paint it?

Attached Files:

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I would paint it but many prefer the original patina. It will make a great motorbike.

3. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Patinas are only important if you keep it original. Since you plan to motorize make it look like it just rolled of the show room floor.

4. Thanks guys! I may end up painting it Candy Red and Creme.
    I've finished motorizing it, just have to get a belt and run the throttle. I'll post pictures of the complete build soon

Another question, I want to use the front headlights, anyone know of an LED Convertion for these bikes?

5. Motorbike built on 1963 Sears Flightliner; Second bike- Arie-Elise

So It's finished! I decided to keep the original cherry red. I found with time if I scrub it with fine steel wool and mineral spirits, the rust comes off to show the original red. Looks great. After some time of doing that, I'll clear coat it. I definately like the belt drive better than the chain on my first.
    I have named this one Arie-Elise, takes $1.54 to fill her up and that lasts me about 3 days of daily arrands! Cruises comfortably at 40mph
    Here soon I'm gonna figure out a front suspension and put some tires I like on em

Any questions ask, any thoughts, tell em. Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

A great looking build!

I also like that '67 (?) Ford 100 pickup in the background of your first pic. Those were sweet trucks.

7. Thankyou! Actually, surprisingly it only took 2 weeks and cost me only 35$

And it's actually a 68, it's a longbed flareside, not many of those built. Straight 6, 3 speed on the column. Great truck!

8. So I've been thinking back and forth and can't decide on whether or not to paint this thing. Because it has a great original patina from '63 with the Sears (as you can see in the picture) and the original white pinstriping. So I was thinking. What if I just paint the frame a flat red, and keep the rack, faux tank and chain guard the original red with pinstripping and repaint the light bezel creme then clear coat everything. I think that would look good, but what do ya'll think. Will it work, or look tacky
    That way my welds and changes are covered, but don't "pop" and I still have the great looking patina and pinstripping. Kinda half and half

Opinions?

Attached Files: