Sh*t I broke a screw off flush in the motor front bracket stud holes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by commanderroach1999, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sh*t I broke a screw off flush in the motor front bracket stud holes.what do I do I sure as hell don't want to buy a whole new engine. Please guys I need help asap.thx

2. I already tried using a bolt extractor

3. They used thread locking compound

4. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

You can use a dremel with a cutting blade to cut a straight line thru the middle of the broken stud. Then use a flat head screwdriver to back it out.

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

remember high school chemistry class? you can use a heated mix of alum and water to attack the steel stud without damaging the aluminum case. it'll pull the iron molecules into solution and just leave a brittle little turd of whatever alloying agents are in the steel. just don't let any steel you don't want gone touch the solution.

I just stick the part into a cake pan full of the stuff and leave it in the oven for a few beers. mine's gas so I don't even need to turn the thing on, but if yours is electric just turn it to whatever the lowest setting is.

if you've got the stuff to do it the easy way, go for it, but $6 worth of alum vs having to buy $30 worth of kit to helicoil it isn't bad

6. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

heres what i do , drill a hole in the stud then hammer a screwdriver(slightly bigger than the hole) into the holejust unscrew it then.

7. It is a cast iron 2 stroke engine and the bolt is either aluminum or steel. Also the bolt has honda thread locking compound around it.

8. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Member

You could always drill the hole a size bigger then re-thread it for a larger bolt.

9. Nate888

Nate888 Member

you can drill out the center & use a knife or pliers or even jb weld an implement to turn it w/ on there. w/ center drilled the bolt gets very weak so one you get it 1/8 turn it'll grrr really easy

10. I drilled the whole screw. Now I need to know what do u use to thread cast iron holes.

11. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Member

A tap and die set, make sure the material is stronger than what you are trying to add threads to. You can do it to all your mounting holes and just make sure you purchase the same bolt measurements as the tap you use. Or you can wait till this happens again with the remaining chinesium mounting bolts.

12. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

depends what kind of motor it is - normal 2-stroke is aluminum and there are pics here about how to make new holes on top to attach to frame with angle iron

if yours is cast iron, you need to send pics

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  13. There is no way that this 2 strike engine is aluminum. It weighs at least 9 lbs.

Attached Files:

14. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

Got a magnet?
    It's the same engine as everyone else has. I don't know if it is truly "aluminium" maybe another chinesium depleted uranium alloy lmao. It has a steel crank shaft and flywheels, and rod, and cogs, and hollow clutch spindle thingy I don't know the correct term.. loads of steel parts basically.

15. Nate888

Nate888 Member

my engine is mostly aluminum w/ mostly steel fastening hardware. yours probably is too - I don't think you'd ever see aluminum Bolts & studs into cast iron/steel

metal is really heavy. think about a small pistol like a .22 target pistol or a .38 snub nose, they're pretty small but they still weigh like 5-7lbs. if your engine were all cast iron it would probably weigh 35lbs, dry

16. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

it is aluminum, search on the board here for pics of how to drill vertically thru the front mount to attach a piece of angle iron that can then be used with a u-bolt around the frame

often times, the case metal is too fatigued after stud removal to hold a helicoil well

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. butre

butre Well-Known Member

those things are definitely aluminum. a cast iron engine that size would be about 30 pounds