Jackshaft Shift Kit Questions for anyone thats allready installed one

Chain tension is no longer an issue, I solved that. My issue now is clearance to the jackshaft plate. A picture is worth a thousand words so...
This is my chain clearance with the engine kit supplied 415 chain. If you feel the clearance is acceptable then I will go ahead and install it the rest of the way and try running it like that.

chain 2resize.jpgchainresize.jpg

Ghost0, I sent you the higher resolution pics to your email.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please STOP! As the designer of the Shift Kit and one who has dealt with both Fabian and KC extensively some of what is being throw out here is opinion. There is no need to run a 410 chain on the left side. I have never run a 410 chain on the left side. I did fit one up once and noticed that some engine output sprockets will accept them and some won't. Please follow the instructions. Use the chain that came with your engine for the left side chain no matter what size it is. Our 17 tooth sprocket is designed to work adequately with both. Second if you are having issue with getting the correct chain tension let me help. Send me your engine, chains, sprockets etc and let me fit them. Once this is done I would encourage you to report back to this group exactly what I did to resolve your issue. I will even pay to ship it back if you get it here. Send me a PM or email me on our website if you are interested.

I agree. completely !!!
I only use Skyhawk engine kits and they come 410 so I never have to dink with 415 chain (except OP's repairs) and glad because I hate the stuff.
I can't use my bicycle chain breaker on 415, it's loud and heavy, and frankly just flat overkill for our needs IMO but to each his own.

Sactowne, better check your 1/2 link in your bottom pic, the pin isn't in all the way and centered and that can cause problems especially when it goes around the engine sprocket.

Why would you waste your time with 410 chain when you can get high specification 415 Heavy Duty chain in 415 Light Duty side plate dimensions and with the extra strength of mushroom pins.

That chain specification (as depicted in my photos) lasts 6,000 kilometers (3,700 miles) before it gets to 100% stretch, but it's not cheap.
Low specification 415 stretches like buggery, and i can't imagine 410 lasting any longer than low spec 415 chain.

Yea that photo was just a mockup to show chain clearance. I have since deleted the 1/2 link and will run 12 full links no master link using the 2 1/4 inch spacers. Looks like my chain clearance is ok so its a go.

I only use Skyhawk engine kits and they come 410 so I never have to dink with 415 chain (except OP's repairs) and glad because I hate the stuff.
I can't use my bicycle chain breaker on 415, it's loud and heavy, and frankly just flat overkill for our needs IMO but to each his own.

Sactowne, better check your 1/2 link in your bottom pic, the pin isn't in all the way and centered and that can cause problems especially when it goes around the engine sprocket.

Yea that photo was just a mockup to show chain clearance. I have since deleted the 1/2 link and will run 12 full links no master link using the 2 1/4 inch spacers. Looks like my chain clearance is ok so its a go.
Nice, that should fix you up well, get those crucial first steps right and it's easy from there.

The bike in the JS pics went out the door yesterday.
The weak link in that system is the thin 7-speed chain not the 410 JS chains and why I like to use internal shifter hubs for JS builds, so I can run HD 410 to that as well.

pantera7.gif

I am not going to debate 415 chain in this guys topic, fish elsewhere for that as I made my thoughts clear and 410 chain won't be the first thing you have to mess with on a $130 E-bay engine kit if you changed to it and you can't deny it is much easier to work with.

In 50,000 kilometers (31,000 miles) of riding i have never snapped a chain in half from exceeding the tensile strength of the chain, be it 8 speed chain which is comparable in tensile strength to 7 speed chain.

I would have thought that 9 speed chain would be weaker but that has not proven to be true, as i have never snapped any of the 9 speed chains of either the cheapest $10 item or the most expensive $80 Wipperman stainless steel version.

Surprisingly the difference in wear (or stretch) rates between the most expensive and the cheapest bicycle chain was only 15%, so it's a complete waste of money spending big dollars on expensive bicycle chain.

Things do change quite a bit when you get into 415 chain because it's more widely used in light commercial products, but you can get rubbish quality 415 or top quality 415, of which there is a much bigger difference in chain longevity that's proportional to the price.

Back