Shocks or springer forks

Here is a picture of mine-
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/inanities/recumbent/general/stuff/common.html

This is on a Worksman bicycle.
Worksman lists a "drum brake fork" in their parts order sheet that came with teh papers with the bike, even though I ordered this bike with a front drum and got a normal fork (so maybe they aren't bothering with the special forks anymore).

I assume Worksman also builds these drum brakes because there's no names on it. I've even had the brake cover off and there's nothing inside either, no name or country of origin.
~

Thanks DougC that is the best picture I have seen of the fork mount and I have searched the net alot.

Is their any type of hub that is better then the other? eg you can get 6' and 7' disk brakes and I think the 7' is butter because if its size.

I have seen drums that only go half way across the hub where yours goes all the way across. Do your pads go all the way across to the other side of the hub?

I have a sturmey-archer XFD front drum on a RokShox JudyC suspension fork, the drum is only 1/2 width of hub, but stops me very nicely (and predictably :D)
in the first picture, you can see the hose clamp around my fork, it is around the brake arm, I added some thick, heavy duty rubber between my fork and the arm as there was approx 1/4" space
the 2nd pic is how I had to mount same hub on my chopper forks, the triangle on bottom made me have to drill and bolt the arm because a clamp moved to much

Attachments

• mini-IMG_1337.jpg
    mini-IMG_1337.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 373
  • mini-IMG_0771.jpg
    mini-IMG_0771.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 423
Thanks azkronic,

With all this info I probly know more about hub brake then the guy at the bike shop:D

My coaster brake sometimes fades with a lot of use do the drums fade like this?

.... I have seen drums that only go half way across the hub where yours goes all the way across. Do your pads go all the way across to the other side of the hub?
The pads in this one only go about halfway across the inside of the hub.

This one also doesn't seem to have a lot of power, I've even cleaned it once with carb cleaner but it is new (unused!) and not broken in yet. And the cable stop that Worksman provides is not nearly strong enough, it slips easily on the brake cable.

I gotta get a 1/2" bolt and drill a little hole through it, to make a monster cable stop. I've tried a couple bike-brake-parts bolts (that were smaller diameters) and neither of them held strong enough.
------
Over on the Sheldon Brown website, he doesn't like any drum brakes out right now.
If I didn't care how my motored bike LOOKED, I would fit it out with disk brakes, Avid BB5's or BB7's. Disk and rim brakes both work well when dry, but rim brakes lose quite a bit of stopping power when they get wet. Disk brakes stop when they're wet almost as good as they do when dry, and just for that reason they're safer.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about dynamo/drum brakes: Does it matter which way they rotate? ie, can the hub's brake arm be mounted either side of the fork or specifically one way? Which way?
JML

when I 1st got my S/A X-FD, I called S/A...the tech I spoke to said it did not matter
I have mounted both ways, and never had a prob with it :cool:

Back