Single speed vs. multi speed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Smallblock, May 8, 2009.

1. Smallblock

Smallblock New Member

Is there any preference between the two as to which is better for a starting point?
    I have a 80cc powerking jet on the way and nothing to put it on.

I was looking for a bike that suited my style and price range. I came up with the Huffy Cranbrook single speed and Schwinn landmark which is a 7 speed

If i chose the schwinn i was just going to paint my tank to match the bike...then i found this on ebay which is almost exactly what i had in my head.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180354920731&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
    Suggestions?

Last edited: May 8, 2009

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

that sure looks like a nice bike. but after shipping it's gonna cost you about $600.00.

You can do better.

Concerning one speed vs multi speed. I have one of each. There's not much difference between the two. My mountain bike is more comfortable. My single speed beach cruiser is better looking. And in situations that require a lot of braking the coaster brake comes in handy.

I'd say it's a toss-up.

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes that MB on ebay looks pretty nice

but -- if you bought the parts and built it yourself -- probably save some money

referring to speeds on your bicycle -- you will enjoy a 3,5 or 7 speed (((much more))) than single

get one and ride that THING

4. Smallblock

Smallblock New Member

lol,
    I am going to build it myself..like I said I've already got the engine kit on the way. And if i buy the bike new for $125 i'll have just over $250 in the whole setup. That one on ebay just happens to look kinda like what i'll end up with.

As of right now i'm leaning more toward the 7 speed schwinn over the $85 single speed cranbrook

5. azbill

azbill Active Member

I would go with the multi-speed
    better brakes all the time,
    and when you break something...
    easier to get home :cool2:

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Get the multi-speed bike.

"The Dragon Lady" is a powerful twin-engined girlie cruiser. I use it to commute to work. Part of the route is a 2-mile highway with an uphill offramp.

"The Iron Dragon" was a 7-speed cruiser. When I started losing speed going uphill at 30-something mph, the "Dragon" called me to help. I pedalled some and the monster caught his second wind.:devilish:

When the "Lady" asks for help at 30-something mph, it's too fast for a single-speed bike to pedal.:sweatdrop:

7. Smallblock

Smallblock New Member

multi gear it is then I guess.

I kinda like the the Kuluna moondogs too..
    does anybody have any pics of this style of bikes with different handle bars? Don't really care for the stock bars much.

8. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Multi-speed for sure.

9. Multispeed Mountain bike gets my vote....

Andrew

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I would go with the multi-speed
    better brakes all the time,
    and when you break something...
    easier to get home