slipping belt

I've been working on this new "framemounting" idea, finished the Greygeezer bike yesterday (fastest bike I've ever built, luvvin' that 21st gear), starting on Rocinante this evening and the YellowSun tomorrow.

BUT, here is the source of "clicking' on a 21-speed Trek a customer dropped off yesterday, I'll post pix in the thread about "spreading the frame"...

We know the spokering has to clear two peices of frame tubing on the rear, and sometimes the clearance, either top tube or bottom tube, is "just barely enough".

How do we compensate? Crimp first, then I put a small spacer between the spokering and the frametubing, and tighten the axle nuts.

This may put the axle "ever so slightly" out of skew, and if you mark with tape the spot on the rotation where it clicks, it is always the same spot, and this probably was the spot where the spacer was used, the "most out of skew" point of the wheel's circuit.

Remedy? More crimping, and on a frame mounted setup, THAT is easier. On an axle mount, you better get is as right as possible at the beginning of the installation.

Back