Smoother clutch cable rig

Coyoteloven

Local time
12:49 PM
I first have to say I can not take full credit for this idea because I saw a similar one on another forum post. I only changed it up a bit and made it less bulky with no ankle biter protrusions. Ive trimmed off the bolt since taking the pictures.I only wish I knew the poster so I could give them credit.

So here we go
I used a closet door roller for the cable. I pulled out the clutch linkage post cut it off at the narrow point and welded a bolt into place as the pulley post. This allows me to with the help of a nut bellow and above the pulley to raise or lower the pulley height as needed.

Using a pulley with a deep groove so the cable rides smoothly and securely which is nessecary becuase of the slight angle of the original post hole.

For the lower bracket I used thin small angle iron from home depot. All holes were pre drilled and lucky enough they all matched up perfect. Two pieces on the clutch plate side bolted on in the original clutch cover plate holes with longer bolts. Then a short bolt to hold the two pieces together. I suppose you could weld them or make it from one solid plate with a tab bent at 90 degrees for the cable mount. That might be my next project for a cleaner look. ( Any takers? If I make 1 I can make a 100 :) )
On this bracket I then used an old throttle cabel linkage tube and straightened it out a bit with a hammer. Two nuts on either side of the bracket as well as the original sleeve and jam nut allow for lots of adjustments as well as smooth operation.

No need for the two springs on the cable shroud or between the old post and lever. Every thing works cleanly and so far without fail for two months.

Attachments

• 20190425_193306.jpg
    20190425_193306.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 20190425_193317.jpg
    20190425_193317.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 20190425_193323.jpg
    20190425_193323.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 20190425_193333.jpg
    20190425_193333.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Liking these clutch roller conversions, Just wish you could remove the clutch cover without having to deal with roller and braces.

Liking these clutch roller conversions, Just wish you could remove the clutch cover without having to deal with roller and braces.
Actually not much different when removing the cover which only really has to removed every few months to grease the gears. The mod is not really that worth it, original system works well especially with a slight adjustment of the clutch arm so that the cable is aligned better. I just like to tinker more than anything.

[QUOTE="oliverw123, post: The mod is not really that worth it, original system works well especially with a slight adjustment of the clutch arm so that the cable is aligned better. I just like to tinker more than anything.
[/QUOTE]
I found that after having to shorten my clutch arm on my current build because of space constraints that pulling the arm was much harder and a little sticky. That's why I added the roller to the old post. It kept a sharp angle in the confined space and that missing 3/4" of clutch arm leverage that I had to cut off was no longer a factor.
But yeah I also love to tinker and none of my bikes are ever truly done.

Back