solid tires? alternatives?

Sorry I didnt think we need solid tyres so I was thinking of alternatives to them such as: a narrow too-hard compound tyre with tough liner and high pressure to resist impact, and slime if you prefer, inside a tacky compound tyre with normal to comfy pressure.

Linky to another forum but not with motors or roads or nails but the pothole problem has relevance...
just reading materials to peruse and then perhaps we discuss about how we as mbikers would like to have our own special tyre system that probably cost twn times less than mtb racing stuff and isnt necessarily tubeless on the outer pocket.
I'm not letting this two pocket concept go because it is evident in the research that the idea is fully established in another section of fast bicycling. We just have to find our way.
I want to try the stuff but is far too expensive and meant for off road and tubeless tyres when I have so many decent innertubed clincher mtb tyres and a very limited amount of time left here and as a cyclist I abhor waste and overconsumption. 😔

I'm probably going to go ream my crown for a few minutes to calm down. I'm a bit pssst off with my next door neighbour today . . . .

Attachments

• 20200618_153032.jpg
    20200618_153032.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 122
I have used solid tires before they're great they ride like regular tire properly inflated.
Those who say they slip and slide is because they did not read instructions they only fit 1.75" to 1.95" if you stuff them in a 2.25" there going to be easy to install and yes they well slip and slide may be dangerous too but if your gonna do it wrong run a large lag screw through the stem and prevent tire from opening up run smaller screw around the sides of the tire prevent throw out and material snag and possible injury at least that is theory not test proven.

After so long you are going need to replace the tire several bike shops say the don't **** with them take a saw cut them off.
They are all daft use a knife cut the tire in the center not the solid tube follow it all the way down falls right off.

I've been trying to order them on eBay for 2 months. I walk into Walmart bought a couple of foam noodles going try figure a way to stuff them but I'm sure there gonna be to stuff.
But like frog Slayer says front tire flips nails into position rear tire nail it. My last 15 blow outs have been the rear tire and the thicker the tube the louder the pop and longer the rip!

The best you can hope for is a thornproof tube, inside a Kevlar casing tire with Mr. tuffy tire liners.

I try to avoid recommending Slime like products just because as a bike mechanic I've had to deal with the aftermath of Slime blowouts, We charged $30 extra labor for the clean-up on slimed tires that fail in a big way.

Why, slime washes off with soap and water also slime reduces how often you got air your tires even without a leak air evaporates into thin air!

you could also try tubeless sealant, that or make your own using a mix of slime (green stuff) and windshield washer fluid (only use the -20f winter formula) the more washer fuild you add to the mix, the thinner the slime becomes (ive done a 50/50 mix with zero issues on my scooters)

Why, slime washes off with soap and water also slime reduces how often you got air your tires even without a leak air evaporates into thin air!
The older the inner tube the faster it will loose air.
A 2 year old inner tube, you'll be putting air in your tire once a week
With a new inner tube, you'll be putting air in your tire once a month

Back