Wheels Spoke breakage

10g spokes

Hello forum folks:D, yes I DO have the ability to make heavy duty wheels but must mind my manners in how I advertise on this forum, anybody who is interested in my work can add me as a friend on here for future contact, or Personal Message me anytime and I'll answer any questions you might have, I've been building heavy duty motorcycle wheels for 25 years, the last 7 or so I've been making Bicycle wheels out of #10 or #9 gauge spokes with great success, there are other wheelmakers out there making good wheels, this is just another option for you all to ponder, I back them with a powerfull warranty so lets make some wheels ! and Yo Augie dog, I'm still waiting for you to send me a wheel, my offer still stands ! all the best everyone .......... Jim

Hello forum folks, yes I DO have the ability to make heavy duty wheels but must mind my manners in how I advertise on this forum

You're reminding me of where I work. Customers will often call us via CB radio, but we're not allowed to 'advertise' due to federal law... We can only answer direct customer questions.

Of course, in your case it's courtesy rather than the feds. ;)

Anyhow, I'll see how these 12 gauge spokes do me, but it's good do know that extremely heavily overbuilt wheels are available. :)

Cheers,
Wolfe.

Advertiseing

At first I didn't understand why my post had been deleted, but after putting myself in the moderators shoes I realized that if they didn't view things the way they do around here, they would end up with huge picture adds all over the threads and it would be a mess, (it would ruin the feel they have here and I completely understand,) I was overzealous with my first posts by putting a link to my web page and stuff, fortunately Aug was nice enough to give me a second chance, now I try to think allot more before I push send.....:LOL:

There are quite a few folks that have this problem with GEBE. Especially after they've had the system for awhile. And not all weigh in very heavy. Again...the flexing of the spokes when torque is applied/released on the drive ring. The thicker the spoke, the less it flexes, and of course the longer it will last. I'll guarantee ya that if I would've bought the GEBE wheel, with 12 guage, I'd probly wind up having to buy the wheel I have now. At least if I break a spoke The Wheelmaster guarantees it, but if you break a GEBE spoke, you're out of luck....you'll have to buy yet another wheel. Decisions, decisions...he he. At any rate, the best of luck :)

Golden eagle offers wheelsmith wheels with .105 spokes for 50 bucks a wheel last time I checked. Inquire @ bike-engines.com

That price must have been quite a while ago. They're listed now for $109 each for rear wheel with 12 gauge spokes.

On pedal bikes, spoke breakage is normally from fatigue when the spokes are not tight enough. To avoid breakage, the spokes must be tight enough that they never lose tension at any point in the wheel rotation. Yes, it sounds backward alrighty, but spokes tend to break becuse they are too LOOSE, not because they are too tight.

If the OP has a deeply dished wheel due to offset for a wide gear cluster, then the left side spokes will not have much tension even in a correctly "tuned" wheel, and the sprocket could well flex them enough to cause fatigue failure over time, especially if the sprocket mounting is a bit eccentric.

Dishing the rear wheel makes room for more gears, but makes the wheel weaker, as the non-drive (for pedal, not engine power) is taking almost no load, making the right side spokes do all the work.

As bikes have gone from 5 rear cogs to 6,7,8,9 and now even 10 rear gears, dropout spacing has had to increase to avoid having to dish the rear wheel too much. Tandems need even more strength in the rear wheel, so 145mm spacing is typically used in modern tandems (and Santana uses even wider) to allow rear wheels with little or even no dish.

Your right on the Money with every word you said ! you know your wheels ! ! !

Stanton rear hubs, $130 w/4 catridge bearings, requior no dishing when a 7 speed freewheel is used.
I used 267mm, 14g SS DT spokes laced 4 cross that are wire tyed n' solder. I weigh 235# and have not broken a spoke yet, nor have I had to tune or true the wheel..It still stands at > .007" total run out!
System? Rack mount GEBE R/S 35cc.

What kevbo has posted above, I have posted several times before.
No one on this board really wants to learn how to lace wheels so you will do well here wheelmaster. :)

Old Pete, That wheel sounds like it would hold up well with a four cross no dish setup, that way you can really cinch the spokes down tight and the wheel stays put, does it have an over/under lace pattern like a weave under the last spoke on it's path to the rim ? (Although the solder and wire tie would have the same effect)

Back