Wheels Spoke breakage

Yep. I over/under all 3 and 4 cross wheels at the last cross. I have only built about 14 sets of bicycle wheels and have yet to do a motorcycle wheel. I will never radial lace a wheel again, only did one front and tacoed it a month later. ;) Trying to get spoke tension equal on deeply dished rear wheels I did a couple 2 cross on one side and 4 cross on the other. Seemed to work OK on a pedal bike.
I de-burr the collets on the rim first thing and set the spoke heads with a punch as the wheel is starting to really firm up. I use bee's wax as a thread lube.

I do have your site bookmarked. :)

Stanton rear hubs, $130 w/4 catridge bearings, requior no dishing when a 7 speed freewheel is used.
I used 267mm, 14g SS DT spokes laced 4 cross that are wire tyed n' solder. I weigh 235# and have not broken a spoke yet, nor have I had to tune or true the wheel..It still stands at > .007" total run out!
System? Rack mount GEBE R/S 35cc.

What kevbo has posted above, I have posted several times before.
No one on this board really wants to learn how to lace wheels so you will do well here wheelmaster. :)

Please provide all of us with the dimensions of the Staton Hub you are using Pete. You and I have had this discussion before and I very much disagree with you that the Staton Hub builds up dishless. Several people in this thread seem to have wheel building knowledge so please provide us all with the center to flange dimension you are using. Back in July when you first mentioned the building of this rear wheel using the Staton Hub you stated that you built it with spokes of differing lengths. Over time it has evolved into a dishless rear wheel with spokes of equal length. Anyone who knows much about wheel building needs only look at a photo off this hub at the Staton Web Site to see that what you are saying is off. Maybe you have added 25mm or more of space to the left side of the hub, as that is what it would take to make it build as dishless, but that is not what you say, you only say that you built it with the same length spokes. I think that the Staton Hub is a great product it just should not be built with spokes of equal length. Can you build it that way?, Yes you can, but should you build it that way? No you shouldn't

ocscully

Last edited:
Indeed the Radial Lace Pattern is IMO useless, they look kinda neet, but thats where the practicality stops, it's the weakest design you could imagine....

ocscully,

You came into a wheel building thread last Summer in a most aggessive manner stating that you were expert. I says OK teach us and BTW give us a source of 12g SS spokes...You did neither. So now you are back with the same attitude dude.

Jax Bicycles measured the Mavic rim n' Staton hub and told me to use 268 n' 266 spokes. The wheel was laced up and centered to the frame using an aluminum straight edge I have here. Woops! The axel on the right side was .300" longer than on the left. Meh. I was in a hurry and used it that way.
So I buy a BOB trailer(Google it). Inorder to hook up BOB one must use BOB nuts. So I re-laced the wheel using 267mm spokes so the axel is the same length on both sides. I did not want to only have 8 threads of engagement on the right for the BOB nut. Note the Staton hub comes with washers that are used for shims to center the wheel. Also note that the Staton hub is threaded for a left side freewheel, this moves the left flange toward center.

So, there it t'is ocscully. Now do me a big favor. Teach this forum about wheel building and give us a source for 12g and 10g SS spokes.
I pay 29 or 39 cents each for 14g SS DT spokes from CBO (Cambria Bicycle Outfitters).

Last edited by a moderator:
oldpete,

I point out inconsistencies and I'm "aggressive" and have an "attitude" Yes pete you and I do have a history on the issue of the Staton Hub and weather or not it builds a Dishless wheel (for anyone interested see these threads) http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6497&page=4
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6835&page=4

Now once again lets look at the evolution of your rear wheel and the inconsistencies over the past 6 months
7-19-07 Thread Where to buy 12 guage spokes: 14g DT spokes 4 cross, very little dish, 2mm different spoke length
8-30-07 DT spokes now built with 267mm both sides
9-1-07 DT 14g straight 4 cross total runout in both directions .005 GEBE drive ring attached centered to a total runout of .007
10-29-07 Thread How to climb hills with original GEBE 14g WHEELSMITH SPOKES
11-14-07 Thread Rear Wheel Woes 14g WHEELSMITH SPOKES
12-2-07 Thread 12g spokes or mag wheel 14g WHEELSMITH SPOKES 266 4cross
1-30-08 Thread (this one)14g DT spokes 267mm 4 cross .007 total runout

Number of wheel sets built by old pete 8-30-07 18 claimed 1-31-08 14 claimed

For some reason pete you seem to think that the critical factor to building a dishess wheel is the length of the spokes. This is not so, the critical factor in building a disless wheel is that the distance of both left and right hub flange is equal distance from the center of the hub. You indicated above that you tried to vary the cross to get spokes of equal length. Even if you had been able to get equal length spokes this way you havent changed the dish of the wheel. The easiest way to make any hub dishless is make the overall spacing wider and the additional space has to added to the non dished side of the hub. If you make the hub wider though you also have to spread and realign your frame or fork. Depending upon material this can be a easy job (Steel) to a rather difficult /not recommended job (Alum) to virtually impossible (titanium or carbon fiber)

As to how you go about dishing a wheel using a straight edge and the bike frame you've totally lost me there. And using washers to center a wheel after its been built and properly dished, once again I'm affraid you've lost me.

As to using BOB axle nuts, What do axle nuts used to hold the wheel into the bike have to do with wheel dish and proper spoke length? If you don't have enough engaged threads it seems to me that you need a longer axle not adjust the dish of your wheel. Now I admit that as i understand the Staton Rear Hub getting a longer rear axle may be very difficult and may even require having one custom built for you.

12g Spoke Source? I've always bought DT 12g spokes from a company called Paceline, but they are a Wholesaler that I believe sells only to bike shops and businesses in the bike industry thru independent outside sales reps. They also only carried 12g spokes sporadically. The rep that serviced my shop knew I was interested in 12g spokes and always let me know when they had them in stock. A retail source that you could try not far from you would be Tony at Chicago Bikes in Newport Beach, CA In years past he has carried DT12g spokes. You should expect to pay $1.00+ ea. for them from him if he has them in stock. Also be advised Tony can be very difficul to deal with at times. You also may want to try checking sources in England and Europe for DT 12g spokes as I believe they are used quite offten in city bikes and touting bikes there.

10g Spoke Source? I don't have a clue? I've never felt the need to build a wheel using them.

I feel no particular need to teach how to build wheels. There have been several links posted here to Sheldon Brown's Wheelbuilding Papers and he does a far better job of explaining how to go about lacing and building your first set of wheels than I could.

Once again I've said enough on these issues. The members who read these threads can come to their own conclusions now as to who is agressive and has an attitude and who knows what they are talking about.

ocscully

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3173
Note the bottom line. All spokes are 262mm. That means all spokes should have the same tension. Dishless or not this is a good thing. :)

I have bought machine laced road wheels that were dished. Installed the tireless wheel in the frame and found them off frame center by as much as 1/4". Then by loosening one side by an 1/8 turn and tightening the other side have brought these cheap wheels into their proper off-set. I have never used a dishing tool and yes I know they are easily made.

You seem to want a fight ocscully, so let this be our last conversation. If you have any issue with me take it to Admin.

Cheers!

Offset/dishing

Oscully, I have a question for you to ponder, (About a dished wheel) could you have the same spoke tension on both sides of the wheel if one of the Hub flanges was larger in Diameter, ALL spokes being the same length and the larger flange on one side of the hub making up the distance ?
Personally I think that Hub manufacturers should just extend one side of the hub out, leave the wheel on center of the flanges and design around the problem of needing a weak Offset wheel, or, make one of the Hub flanges larger in diameter, we see it all the time on motorcycles.....
I have a Lathe, lets design a prototype Hub ! ! ! ! dishless of course ! let me know what ya think, I'd like your input ! ! !

Wheelmaster -
I've often wondered about that very thing. I'm quite surprised no one, not even someone like Chris King or Phil Wood, have thought of this - especially if motorcycles are already doing this. Yes, yes, please create some, if you have the ability. I can certainly imagine a rather large following if you're able to produce a quality product.

--John

Excellent !

I will aquire the Alloy I need and start in on it, thanks , maybe I'll open a thread and document it ! ;)

Back