Sportsman Flyer Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 25783
  • Start date
Words of advise from the other Forum.
Break her in hard on the bike to achieve a superior ring seal. Use regular oil with zinc additive. Change oil after first 10 miles. Switch to synthetic 10w-30 on 2nd or 3rd oil change. Will last a long time and get stronger as you ride it more. Can’t wait to hear about how it runs, you’ve got some serious upgrades in that little motor.

Now i know why they sell those scewdriver looking things for pushing the valve spring retainers. Doing two manually, one was fun, second was pain. Those 18# springs tested my mettle.
Tom

Searching for a quart of break in oil.
In the mean time, valve lash is set cold as per AGK .004" and in my case 60F. A 79cc head is so confined I had to bend the tips of the .006 and .004 feeler guage tips to be able to attain a sensitive feel. Rocker cover is on.
Next trick is fitting the blower housing and see if the recoil start works correctly.
It could be so simple as pulling the flywheel and lapping it (key note word) "into" the crankshaft taper. The magneto pick up is not centered on the magnet field.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN1042.JPG
    DSCN1042.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN1043.JPG
    DSCN1043.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 147
Blower housing is now on and some of the tin bits. Started with the recoil pull start attached. A few pulls of the starter rope were less than ideal. So off it came, and so exposed the rope start hub, just barely. But enough to wind a full pull start rope.
Time to swap engines with the one currently powering the Sportsman Flyer.
Photo of the ready to load 79cc hot rodded engine.

Attachments

• DSCN1044.JPG
    DSCN1044.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 147
Removed the intake manifold, screws were not tight, yet engine was running flawlessly.
(Mental note) Monitor mounting flange bolts more often.
Removed the exhaust clamp and SS flex exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold stub.
Removed exhaust manifold, the components were fab'd by Member FFV8.
Lastly, removed the Bully clutch.
Only thing to do now is free the existing engine from the Sportsman Flyer engine mount system.
On Tony's advise I stopped a NAPA to get a quart of High Zinc oil. Back label reads like it could/should be the only lubricant one would ever want to use. My only thought is Synthetic is lower ash. Oil prices being about the same.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN1045.JPG
    DSCN1045.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 164
Got the hot rod engine back in the Sportsman Flyer 80 mounting system.
Lots of fiddly things to do before getting the bike off the hangers and on the ground.
Tom

The plan was to machine a variation of a 1914 HD brake arm anchor to solidly position and retain a Shimano 110 coaster brake arm. Done and rock solid.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN0036.JPG
    DSCN0036.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0037.JPG
    DSCN0037.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0044.JPG
    DSCN0044.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0045.JPG