Springer fork - make your own.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sianelle, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

2. Cool. That finished bike screams for a happy time.

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have had john brain's page saved forever
    (a couple of years at least :D)
    it is very well written/thought out
    I just don't have the confidence in making one with the simple tools I have access to :(

4. DougC

DougC Guest

At the least you'd need a decent-sized drill press to do that.
    Trying to do hand-drilling in thick metal is just ruining drill bits to make crooked holes.
    ~

5. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

A drill press is always a good investment; - I'm really glad I got myself one. Waaaay easier than swinging around on the end of an electric drill. :shock::smile:

6. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Here's a fork I built with some of John's plates.

I used his designed plates and improvised on the rest. As you can see I made the lower spring mount resemble the rocker arms so the look of the fork would "flow" a litttle better. The rocker mounts are also different that John's (they're not just flattened with a hole drilled in them). The rockers have plastic washers on either side of them so they can be tightened down to reduce lateral slop but still move freely. The spring bolts slide in bronze bushings so the action is butter smooth with absolutely ZERO friction or binding. The top plate is held on with star nut like the ones in threadless headsets.

It is a well thought out design and John really did his homework. It's worth building a set just to see how nice they can be.

Attached Files:

7. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Oh my! - you've made an absolutely corker job of those forks. Thanks for sharing your photos :grin:

8. butch27

butch27 Guest

I can't get it to open. Always says too busy right now??

9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

10. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Sianelle, that's awesome. Could be easily fabricated at a hardware store. I have been pondering a stock spring forks set-up.

Butch, same here. Am dang curious.

12. azbill

azbill Active Member

those searspringers are really cool ! :D
    I may attempt to replicate them myself :)
    looks like the hardest part would be getting springs of the proper strength

13. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

I picked up a whole lot of trampoline springs while I was at the rubbish tip recently and I was going to try them to see how they would go.

The local engineers' supply store here in town does have some springs too, but I haven't really been to have a proper look yet.

14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Some great ideas in this thread. That Majestic Ball Bearing Spring Fork Attachment looks so simple. And it gives me some ideas for some interesting variations.

15. connoisseur

connoisseur Guest

Can you make me a pair. and if so how much? what kind of frame is that?

16. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Do you mean the Flying Merkel frame?

17. smitty

smitty Guest

I'll try again to down load pics. I found this in a borrowed book.

Attached Files:

18. butch27

butch27 Guest

May we see John's design?

19. azbill

azbill Active Member

click on the link in sianelle's first post
    it's that easy :lol:

sorry. it seems br&k's site is having probs

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Ah yes, - during the solid tyred safety bicycle era many many patents were filed for suspension systems. There is truly nothing new under the sun and more than likely the trick full suspension system on the flashy MTB in the shops was already thought of before back at the end of the 19th Century. :grin: