Sprocket mounting alternative?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by juliman, Dec 23, 2010.

1. juliman

juliman Member

hey guys, i will be getting my rse 70cc hp stage 1 kit soon, and i keep thinking about ways to reduce stress on the spokes on the rear wheel, so since i will be getting a new wheel sometime in the future, i was thinking this:

1. mount the sprocket with the rag joint

2.get it all dialed in and straight

3.ride it for a month or so gently ( break the motor in and not put too much stress on the wheel, and to make sure it wont shift(sprocket that is))

4.Then tack weld the sprocket to the hub, i think this may work alright since the sprocket and hub are both steel, and if it screws the wheel up,who cares the wheel is pretty much dead now.

Like i said before i will end up getting a new one soon.But if it works then hey!it will take a lot of stress of the spokes if not all of it. so thanks in advance

so what are everyones oppionions or is this just:poop:, probably if it looks ok at the time then i will go ahead and try it then report back here on my success
    thank you again

2. occchopperfl

occchopperfl Member

a. clam shell adapter
    b. pineapple adapter
    c. tophat adapter if you have a rear disc brake

good luck! :)
  3. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

first of all you will never get the sprocket "dialed in and straight" because the center hole is usually never perfectly centered.
  4. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

merry chrissy

i hope ur aware that qld has a 200 watt law ..

so u cant ride the 70 cc hp1 on the rd ...

i ride a rse hp2 48cc ,,:tt1:

5. juliman

juliman Member

heh heh yeah but the cops around here are pretty lenient, any way ill be going so fast they wont even c me LOL(jks), but i think i will be okay because once when i was riding my thumpster, the cops drove past me, and im like o siht so i did a u turn ( so fast it blew my rear wheel) and rode off , but the cops didnt do anything so yeh =) ( like i said this was on my thumpster lol)

btw im in a pretty rural area, and there is lots of bush tracks and quiet back streets-

oh and merry xmas to you too =)
  6. tjs323626

tjs323626 Member

I have had good results with this wheel (http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=31595)
    I use the kit type sprocket with the supplied mounting system. This is a very sturdy wheel for the price and the 12ga spokes havn't failed yet in over 2 years of riding. Most of my riding has been on old beat up roads in rural Louisiana. With at least 2000mi on my HF 79cc build This wheel is a keeper. The factory wheels failed in short order every time I used the kit mounting system.
  7. juliman

juliman Member

omfg its perfect, ill just put my 5 speed cassete on it then will be all good,.... bad thing is its in the states and shipping is probably more than the wheel lol
  8. occchopperfl

occchopperfl Member

Here are the Hub Adapter links FYI:

Clam Shell:

Top Hat:

Best of Luck! :)
  9. juliman

juliman Member

kool, thanks very much every one... still brainstorming though LOL
  10. Dave C

Dave C Member

11. DuctTapedGoat

DuctTapedGoat Member

12. ken murphy

ken murphy Member

I havn't tried the pinapple app.My best mount is directly to the hub w/the disc brake app,just put the sprockett on the disc brake mount W/ten gauge spokes.
    Happy Trails
  13. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

next week gasman reopens an i know he sells 12g rear wheels that are either 5 or 6 spds .
    if i was u id look at getting a sbp shiftkit an a 12g dual rimmed wheel .

mbb imports

14. Dave C

Dave C Member

There's something wrong with spooky tooth, can't buy anything and I'm pretty sure that's not right ;)
  15. ken murphy

ken murphy Member

My friend Roland is moving on he has sold the place (spooky tooth)

Attached Files: