sprocketless drive, sans chain?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Thufir, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Thufir

Thufir New Member

Is there such a thing as a gas engine kit which doesn't use a chain and sprocket, but instead uses rubber "rollers" which contact with the rim? Sorta like a brake, but with the reverse result.

2. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

I believe you are talking about a friction drive setup?

If so, there is a friction drive sub forum on the site here, with a ton of information!

3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I think there were a few attemps at as friction drive rubbing only the rim . I have seen an electric one, myself. It was " pitiful !"
    Friction drive roller on the tire is a better idea & has been around forever.

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

There was a member here named Retmachinist, I believe. He frequents the other MB forum, and had installed a lawnmower engine which rubs the rear tire's sidewall for friction drive. It looked pretty fast on the youtube video.:detective:

Google him.

5. Thufir

Thufir New Member

Excellent! The problem with Google is that unless you know what search for, you won't get the desired results. ^%^#%&@, I spent a long time looking for that, all I needed was the term 'friction drive'. Thanks! :)

6. Thufir

Thufir New Member

that's counterintuitive, wouldn't the flat surface of the rim be preferable to the squishyness of a tire?

7. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

well, a rim-driven friction driver would require two fairly small drive rollers as opposed to one larger roller... there's a LOT less mechanical going on with a single roller, and powering the single roller is a lot more direct than two on the sides