Staton friction drive kit

Another simple thing you can do before installing the kit. Using a high grade contact adhesive (I used 3M) glue some bike inner-tube strips to the surfaces of the U bracket that will contact the bike frame. This will give the bracket better anchoring to the frame, and protect the paint.
It will also kill a small bit of vibration.

If you do decide to go with a new store bike leave the tags on it. If you're careful, and things don't fit as you would like you will be able to return it.

Well we'll see how it goes took the rear brake off and the bar fits.

Attachments

• 20240203_143111.jpg
    20240203_143111.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240203_143102.jpg
    20240203_143102.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 43
Took it for a ride of less than a few feet it will not accelerate I have the engine bolted right and everything was fine? Took it off choke and tried to ride it but will not pick up speed. Beginning to remember why I got a honda ruckus! Thinking of trying to get $300 for all of it except the gx50

Were you pedaling to about 2-4 MPH before you applied power? with friction drives, you just can't hit the gas from a dead stop. I had a Staton 2 cycle kit and the thing would hit 35 MPH. Knobby tires don't work well either, you need something smooth, so the roller makes good contact, you want to touch the tire, then put another .125" of pressure on the tire for good engagement.

Attachments

• BAYSIDE.jpg
    BAYSIDE.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 33
Be more explicit , is the motor reev's climbing and the roller not rotating? Is the roller not driving the tire?
After pedaling a few feet my Staton F/D pulls smoothly to 30-25mph.

Will, knobby tires don't work so well with FD, plus they wear fast. This type of tire tread works best, deeper the groove the better. Notice the sharp corners on the tread edge. When aired up the tire has more of a flat surface vs a round contour. That is good for the contact area for the roller w/o using too much downward pressure on the motor.

1707002176794.png

Will, knobby tires don't work so well with FD, plus they wear fast. This type of tire tread works best, deeper the groove the better. Notice the sharp corners on the tread edge. When aired up the tire has more of a flat surface vs a round contour. That is good for the contact area for the roller w/o using too much downward pressure on the motor.

View attachment 207185
What manufacturer and type are those?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

View attachment 207185
I used those same tires. They worked out well for me.

I'm not recommending Kenda brand, never had those exact tires. Just the type and tread for etc. Kenda is a good brand though. Chen sin or something close are the ones I used to use. Hard to find now when searching. The Chen sin was almost an exact replica of the Kenda as an example.

Back