Still looking for a round tank.

I haven't tested it out yet, but I made a tank of 2" pvc with Jim-Cap ends (rubber caps with hose clamps. It has an automotive tire valve for a convenient drain, and I am probably going to use a rubber grommet for the fuel lines, weedeater style.
I saw a similar tank used for a gas powered generator. I don't know how long the rubber or PVC will last outdoors, but I expect the caps to outlast the tube.

Here is a vertical tank I made for a tiller engine. The top valve is an air vent and goes to a breather hose (clipping the pin off a valve core so it will just have a pinhole for air and run to a vent line), and the bottom one is the fuel line connection.

http://sadpanda.us/images/622784-OQYYVG3.jpg
622784-OQYYVG3.jpg

I tried it out, and it sucked. The tire valves got a little soft with the gas , and didn't like the 1/4 vinyl hose (gas tended to rifle up the threads and leak out). The caps held fuel, but after several times of being mounted and dismounted, the rubber shape in the cups chafed, and started leaking a tiny amount. I wouldn't trust them.

I kept the hose clamps for mounting a milk crate to a rear rack, and kept the cups and a spare piece of new PVC for keeping small stuff inside (after the cups dry out 100%) .

If you want to build a PVC tank, you will need solid plugs for the ends, and to drill the holes undersize for brass fittings with fuel barbs, and a garden hose style cap and neck, and thread them well, applied with high quality epoxy like Loctite instant-mix syringe. Let cure for 1 week! I am just going to get a pocketbike tank or weedeater tank from the mower junkyard. This isn't worth the hassle to me.

Back