Still looking for a round tank.

With Or Without The Tank?

The GXH50 with the tank won't fit in the frame. The tank makes the engine pretty high for a rack mount over the rear tire.

In addition the tank model has a kill switch and a muffler cover. All those add around $40 - $50 to the price and come off anyway. The switch could be left, but it is a duplication of the kill switch on the handlebar.

Nice thing is Honda includes a hockey puck pulse fuel pump with the OHA model in case your tank is below the carb.

In my case, I want to get rid of the "cycle style" tank mounted on the top frame tube. Short inseams make clearance a priority. )

I also want to use a motorcycle petcock which gives you both a reserve and bottom feed.

If you are looking for a round tank without spending a fortune try tourtanks.com they have some nice looking ones from spun aluminum

Surplus Tank

Nice find. I place it at 3.25 gallons not counting the domed ends, which could be less or more volume according to how they measured it.

Anyway around 20# of gas plus the tank?

Even the Mini-Keg was a little bulky. It is 6" in diameter by 10" long, but would have worked if the bungs has been gas proof, or I had been smart enough to come up with a good way to plug the holes. The one in the end would have been easy using two washers, SS bolt and a neoprene washer, but the one for the valve hole presented a real problem as the hole was depressed and the depression a flattened circle. The stainless is so thin that it won't take much pressure to dent or bend anyway.

Obviously I am still hurting from letting it get the best of me. 8O) =

Jim

Clear tubular tank

Howdy folks, Here's a little something. I think a clear tank would be cool. Built in site glass? PVC will stand up to gasoline. Spudtech sells 1 foot sections of 4" clear schedule 40 PVC for $32. Standard end caps from lowes will fit the ends. I have had a piece of this clear PVC in a jar of gas for about 4 months with no change in hardness.

Here's the link.
http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=37

Clear ? Round Tank

The round tank would be very cool, BUT PVC turns brown in the Arizona Sun. It also becomes brittle. Exposed PVC piping for pool pumps and filters really suffer from Sun burn unless painted.

This might be OK in the cooler states up north.

I gave up on getting a round brushed aluminum tank like one of the guys found on eBay. Bought a used smaller Honda tank at a lawnmower shop and painted it black. It fits under the seat.on the rack. I shortened the spring loaded frame to miss the tank. Works for me and got rid of the teardrop tank, but not as good looking as the round one would have been.

Now I know what a couple of kids (teens) had at the park the other night. The were firing plastic bags of dirt from a spud gun. Sounds like that was dirty hobby. We used to cram potatoes up tail pipes of cars. Found out the exhaust system could be damaged if the muffler was rusty. Stopped that,

Jim

Howdy folks, Here's a little something. I think a clear tank would be cool. Built in site glass? PVC will stand up to gasoline. Spudtech sells 1 foot sections of 4" clear schedule 40 PVC for $32. Standard end caps from lowes will fit the ends. I have had a piece of this clear PVC in a jar of gas for about 4 months with no change in hardness.

Here's the link.
http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=37

Back