Stolen Stolen - Santa Cruz, CA

Discussion in 'Stolen Bicycles & Security' started by npk1977, Jul 12, 2007.

1. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

sorry to hear that dude :evil:
    I think bike thieves should get what they used to do to horse thieves...
    hang 'em from the nearest tree

3. mickal1025

mickal1025 Guest

you know what they say. something like 87% of the murders are comitted by someone who knew them. so when you find out who did it, take a little while to get to know them before you kill them. you wouldnt want to unbalance the statistics. did they steal it from outside your house? call the cops. if these bikes are as rare there as they are here, the cops will notice.

4. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

was it left outside? if it was outside they will snatch it up real fast. i ride mine to work and put it right in the shop cause i know its gone if its left outside.

5. beast775

beast775 Guest

keeping an eye open

i visit quite a few sites ill watch closely!!!!!that makes me so violent.hope you find it.!!!!!!!!!!

6. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

First of all, thanks for your kind wishes :) I had a daydream today, that I somehow made a mistake in building, and as the f$$ker is biking down the hill next to my house, the front wheel comes off and over the top he goes, and POW! breaks a collar-bone. I know, I know, sick. But I was *pissed*.

> if these bikes are as rare there as they are here, the cops will notice.

These things are rare, but not super rare. I didn't write down the serial number! ARGH! Actually, I wrote it down, but I lost the paper. ARGH!!!!

> was it left outside?
    Yes, on my front porch. But, it has a 7' high fence around it, so you can't easily see it's there. Basically this means, someone saw me riding it into my porch, and stole it. I was asleep, roughly 6' away from my bike, and it got stolen. Thing is, there are TONS of really nice, >$2K mountain bikes all over the place in front porches all over my condo complex.

Ok, I made two mistakes: (1) I didn't write down the serial #!! (2) I didn't lock the bike on my porch. (2) didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but (1) come on? How could I be so stupid :(

beast - you mentioned you visit some sites, any chance you could tell me what these are?

Sigh, like most people here, one of the reasons i bought this thing was so that I could get around town on the cheap (I'm a grad student.) I saved up for a couple of months to get this thing, and i can't really afford a replacement, esp 1 week after getting it running!! :( Ok, enough sob-story, it's just i know a lot of you are in the same boat, so at least you understand :)

Take care guys, lock your bike, write your serial # down.
    n

7. I hate/dispise people that are to lazy to work and buy their own stuff and just steal other peoples stuff.

I hope you find your bike.

Chances are they stole it for a joy ride and ditched it somewhere.
    Unless the thief is really stupid I doubt you'll see it being ridden around unless it was sold to a person.
    The person you see riding it might not have been the one who actully stole it.

Do we need to start putting things like this device on all are belongings.
    http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/loc8tor-plus.html
    Looks like it comes with everything thats needed except the Louisville Slugger.

8. ironwarlock

ironwarlock Guest

9. beast775

beast775 Guest

10. microage97

microage97 Guest

I am sorry to hear about your bike man. Good luck! Prolly some kids...

Dave

11. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

I agree.. Steeling is..

I agree..Steeling is one of the worst crimes. Hang em high I say. That is a beautiful bike for sure !! I hope you get it back !!!

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

They caught the guy that stole your bike !!

According to channel 9 in Denver, the thief made it all the way to Denver !!

Give em' a call, make a claim !

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=74612

Hang em high !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  13. npk1977

npk1977 Guest

WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found my bike posted on craigslist last night. A sting was setup today, with the help of local police officers. The thief was caught, though probably he will get off.

The motor looks to be in poor shape. I'd only gone 50miles on the motor, and I imagine the thief didn't take very good care of my ride. I'll fix it up, but it might not be ethical to sell it again.. or maybe that's my excuse to keep the ride :)

Sadly, he's a 16-17yr old neighbor. I'm worried about retribution, but I really want to talk to him & his parents and find out what the **** is on his mind. Why steal?

So, moral: (1) record your serial #s. (2) Don't lose hope, your bike might be recoverable!

14. WOW cool glad you got it back.

I'm not surprized it was a local kid that nabbed it,(actually I kind of thought it would be) kids do stupid things, god knows I did when I was a kid.

Isn't our system great someone steals from you, gets caught and YOU have to worry about retribution.

I think I know what was on his mind was this : COOL bike - I want one - I'm broke - I'll steal that one - I'll sell it and buy that other cool thing I want etc..etc..etc.

How many other things has he sold thru craigslist ??? (makes me wonder)

15. azbill

azbill Active Member

we are all glad you got your bike back
    :cool::cool::cool:

16. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Good MB.karma....

Give us the rundown, I'll donate a gel seat to the reconstruction !

(Or a kill switch):rolleyes:

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

Nice! that must be a good feeling!

18. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

16 or 17

16 or 17 years old is no kid for sure. Hang em !!! I hope the punk gets what is coming to him. Thief !!! In Some countries you get a hand chopped off for such a crime. I can understand why. Stealing is one of the worst crimes for sure !!! His parents raised a thief !!! He should at least buy you 2 engine kits for payment. And then horse whip him..Then let him go.. Hang him next time.

19. Glad you got the bike back

It's typical of 'kids' these days - parents give no rules or boundaries to their kids growing up, and then when they are adults or practically adults they do whatever they want. They've never been told NO and they've had everything in their life handed to them by their parents.

20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

not enuff butt-kickin' going on these days...young folks are getting the wrong impression by rampant permissiveness..."an eye for an eye" needs to make a comeback, then the lil punks'll think twice...it ticks me off that the victim has to be worried, go kick his butt and get it over with <---not really, because then justice would be swift...against you!

try this: go talk to the kid's family & demand retribution for repairs...then insist he has to help with the repairs, maybe some positive exposure could turn the tide?