Tanaka pf4000 powered tadpole trike

I don't recommend it for the sane audience. It's not so much hp as gearing to get to high speeds on something light and low drag like a tadpole trike, that's why I want a cvt on one

Well I put a wyk 150 walboro carb and a stalker exhaust can on my tanaka pf4000 today
The install went pretty well. But two things to watch for if ur doing this. One, the intake manifold has a tendency to cock a bit and stay that way when tightened down, causing an air leak. Press the manifold tight to the cylinder and then tighten it down. Also the pulse hole is easily blocked by gasket or miss aligned . I put a small Allen wrench through it while tightening down the manifold.

After dealing with the air leak it fired right up. It's louder, intake and exhaust, but it's the price you pay for more low end torque and top end rpms. It is noticeably improved in both areas. The stock configuration was undered aspirated and the catylitic muffler doesnt flow that well either.

Last edited:
It already comes with a hda 219 20 mm carb. that and the stock porting are approaching the limits of mods on the intake side and the racing pipe is good too. About all you can do is up the compression a little.

If you want more horsepower than that you have to go to something like gp460 style high rpm or a pocket bike motor water cooled and reed valve and in my experience not Chinese unless you wanna do a lotta machine work and fastener replacement. If you want a high performance 50 cc or 80 cc two stroke look at a comer. A stock class junior kart engine
If you want you can spend thousands on a race built engine

I've thought a kt100 yamaha kart engine would be cool on a trike. I raced that class for a few years and the engines are tough light but would rip the spokes off most bikes

Last edited:
Those Comer engines are too rich for my blood.:whistle:

I've used GP460 engines, but have had bad luck w/their clutches. When I solve that issue, I'll use them again.

Back