Thatsdax Titan XC 50cc

The oil bath is actually doable (mmmm) on the gear side. Have like an enclosed cup on the bottom with an oil bath. I understand the extra flex you need with a smaller sprocket so maybe if DAX went with maybe 14 t up and down it would be sturdier?
Still. I think for the sprockets to wear down you would have had to replace the chain more than a few times and you're talking tens of thousands of miles down the road!
This is just my opinion,of course.
But like I said,I know you mean well,but in my opinion,the 10 tooth is plenty good.

The 10T is..

The 10 T is fine. I have thousands and thousands and thousands of miles on the 10 T sprockets. so do thousands of my Customers. It is a proven reliable and compact size sprocket that works well with 081-415 chains. If is is not broken, then I am not going to fix it. Enjoy the ride...

There's even a lot of applications out there where the sprockets get as low as 6 teeth and they seem to do the job too.

Sorry to jump in so late on this - still lots to learn - but I like the logic of being able to use the smaller, lighter chain if it's safe to do so.

Questions:
Does this also run smoother?
Lighter=even better gas mileage?
Do you use the same sprockets, or different ones from stock?

Duane, point me to what I need to get on your site please. :)

Thanks,
Mark

Nothing is going to fall apart any time soon,even if the chain has wear (which shows up as "stretch") with such small sprockets and short chain.I belong to the school of defensive design which boils down to playing it safe if you can afford it, so why not use larger sprockets. Road dust, grime &grit are the chain killers,this chain is 3 ft above ground and in a fairly safe place.Use motorcycle spray chain lube on it once in awhile and you'll be OK, and if you're fastidious,replace it when it shows signs of wear.

The standard is essentially a BMX chain on the gear side. The wheel side is identical to the Happy Time thick chain but because of my coaster brake needing to bring my sprocket closer to the tire,we used a BMX chain instead so it will clear the tire without rubbing.
So basically if you get any BMX bicycle chain that you trust,it would work on both sides.
I think this is the real part that sold me on this kit. Having Duane install it for me making sure everything is right is just a plus.
If I want to go with a Happy Time chain,I could freewheel my coaster eliminating that coaster arm thereby bringing my sprocket out. But the bike chain I actually prefer.
In fact I'm contemplating switching MOOP's chain over to BMX just because it's easier to manage.

From the defensive design perspective, the better way to implement overall chain drive is to split the reduction between them the drives,instead of having a 1:1, followed by 10:44 in the second,have say 12/15 and 12/44,there are many choices.
In my post describing a possible 2 speed setup,I failed to mention that if the receiving sprocket on the jackshaft is a freewheel type, it becomes easier to pedal the bike in emergency mode since you don't have to contend with the 5:1 engine stepup.Also with the dual complementary 10/12 , 12/10 input to the jackshaft,a slow but effective "gear" change can be effected by simply switching the primary chain between the sprocket sets.Relatively hassle free and guaranteed to work!

Wow, what an interesting conversation. Minds always thinking on improvements. I have written anything in a while because my bike runs great and worry free. I plan on hauling it to Colorado next month on my vacation. Can't wait to see how it runs at 10,000 feet.

I think it's smart of you Large to keep extra chain and I will throw some in my tool box before I leave. My car has a spare tire, tire tools, spare fuses, spare serpetine belt, tools, air pump, fix-a-flat and first aid kit. I'm not worried about catastropic failure, it's called being prepared.

I just love my Titan. I let Ibrakeforcats ride it last weekend while I rode my Happy Times (which shut off anfter 3 miles and would not restart ). It was neat to see the Titan from that perspective. I could watch the jackshaft and see if the wheel and sprocket were true.
Thanks Duane for a great rig. Great Job!

Went for another ride with Ibrakeforcats, after she and I built her DE. Titan ran like a pro. There was a lot of construction where we were and I rode the bike in the dirt and gravel. sooooooo Sweet. I love my Titan. No clutch or minimum speed, just a great ride.
There was a dump truck that the bed had flipped over on, twisting the truck badly, so I had to ride in the dirt to get a closer view.
We took a break and I tightend my chain some. Took about 10 minutes.
I can't wit to get it in the mountains.
It's so nice to ride a motored bike and trust it. Makes it so much more fun.

It's so nice being able to post and not have to ask "how do I fix this or fix that".

Back