The Best Seat Competition

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Im leaning towards the Brookes knock off seat, the other spring seat looks uncomfortable and not many people buy them looking through 20 pages of feedback. Many people have bought the other one and said its very good. Im also reading reviews on the net of the actual brookes seat and it gets very good ratings. Ill see how my BMX seat goes on my bike and if that isnt good i might buy that one on ebay.

well i found a old bike in the shed, about 15 years old, and it has a leather covered spring seat. I cleaned it all up, sanding off the rust of the metal bits then polishing with metal polish, cleaning the stuff of the leather with leather cleaner. It looks nice now but the only thing is the seat is white. How hard is it to dye the leather black? The seat is extremely comfy so i really want to put it on my bike but it looks like **** on my bike as the seat is white. The seat has two springs, its sort of flat and wide on top so its like a cruiser seat. MMMMMM!!!

UPDATE: WOW, prices on the ebay seats have dropped 10 bucks! It will cost $35 posted now instead of $45, i wonder if they will drop more? If this seat is to hard to dye im thinking of getting the other spring seat as thats basically whats on the other bike and its real comfy. People have said the brooks knock off has all sorts of problems like the springs bending and stuff. So its either: Dyeing my seat black or buying the ebay one.

Last edited:
So I'm not the only one with springs bending on the knock-off seat?!

Yesterday I really tightened it up, using much force, in an effort to get it to stay put--in case the problem was my fault--but no luck. Except for that, it's a comfortable seat, and riding along at 30-40 km/hr, the springy suspension seat brings necessary relief!

There must be something on the internet about dying leather. I recall reading something about re-dying car seats in the Porsche forum...back before I wrecked my classic, 1981 911SC. ~sniffle~ back in September. For something the size of a bike seat, it should be a pretty easy process.

Brenton

Seats

If you like the seat, there are shoe repair shops that will dye it any color you want. You can also get a shoe dye kit and do it youself. It is really important that you have a seat that works. I went through a bunch of seats before I found one I could ride all day. Check a bike shop, they have used seats often. Try them and find one that works for you. Ask around if you can, often folks have saddles that they tried that didn't work for them but may be great for you.
No two people are alike so what is good for one may not be good for another. Trial and error works best. When you find one that fits, keep it and love it.

shoe dye

Shoe dye doesn't rub off normally. Lots of clothes would be dyed if it did. If you are unsure of how to do it, go to a shoe shop and they can do it so it will not come off. They do it regularly for things like weddings so all the bridesmaids dresses and shoes will match.

Just to clarify comments on the Schwinn "hornless" seat and similar seats...

It is pretty darn comfy for it not being a gel seat. The real comfort in a bike seat comes from the width, and that Schwinn seat is the widest available other than the one and only Park Bench Bike Seat (their website is down now, tho). You do not really need the "horn", or nose, of a seat unless you're riding without your hands... and you shouldn't be doing that on a MB. These hornless seats still have indentations for your cheeks, so you still have a bit of leverage in holding yourself in without your hands, but it's certainly not as easy as it is when there's something between your legs.

Overall... hornless seats are a win for me. It keeps my "junk" happy; since I ride everyday, it would be a shame to torture my testicles on such a regular basis. I haven't fallen off the seat yet, so that's another plus. And it only slightly impedes pedaling; I can still pedal just as fast, if not faster, than all my other friends with 20" bikes, but there's just a slightly noticeable lack of "pedaling legroom".

and word to the wise.. its been said that religous bike riders (cyclists if you will) get ED from the bike seats being so thin and sturdy

Back