Engine Trouble The sound of 4 stroking?

images.jpg

I attached a satellite photo so you can get a better idea of the situation. The accident occurred exactly where the white car is in the photo but over in the next lane, approximately 10 ft. from the driver side of the white car. There is no stop sign for the driver of the car or of course myself. Also Gary I was not in the street, I said I was on the side of oncoming traffic simply to describe what side of the street I was on. I was driving on the sidewalk that you can see in the pic.
It's Bike Week here in Erie, meaning there's 150,000+ bikers and they pack the streets and meet in random parking lots. I believe traffic was backed up cause the bikers were coming & going to the parking lot a bit up on the right. I looked over to the lane going in the same direction as me to see if anyone was deciding on turning and seen no turn signals. As I got closer to the corner there was a truck coming in my direction, I pumped the breaks a bit til I was sure he wasn't turning and when I decided he wasn't I crossed the street. The car couldn't be seen cause the truck blocked my view and by the time I seen him it was simply to late. Poor leg.
So you were on the sidewalk on 8th st and hit the guy who was making a right turn onto Seminole? If the law in Erie allows bicycles to be ridden on the sidewalk, and doesn't require you to stop and walk them in the crosswalk then your a pedestrian in a crosswalk and he's screwed, but not as screwed as your leg.:) To early?

So you were on the sidewalk on 8th st and hit the guy who was making a right turn onto Seminole? If the law in Erie allows bicycles to be ridden on the sidewalk, and doesn't require you to stop and walk them in the crosswalk then your a pedestrian in a crosswalk and he's screwed, but not as screwed as your leg.:) To early?
I'm pretty sure they made a left in front of him, he would be heading north (if the top of the picture is north) on the only sidewalk that road has, and as a truck was heading south a car in the northbound lane pulled out immediately after the truck had passed, the truck blocking Carl's view of what just happened, and so of course he smacked into the car.

Don't know if a turn signal can make a difference or not because pa is very much for the pedestrians when is comes to an accident, 9.9 times out of 10 the guy driving the car is going to get blamed for any collision with a pedestrian. The fact that he was already in the roadway when the car entered the crosswalk is pretty much the most solid part of the case, doesn't matter if he was moving, standing or sleeping in the crosswalk, the driver failed to check all possible areas where traffic would come from, or simply didn't take the time to, and as a result caused an accident.

The absolute only thing is that the bike has an engine in it, and proving it wasn't under gas power could be hard to do, and so the lawyer he picks should tread very carefully over that fact, if a grumpelstiltskin judge gets the wrong idea in his head he could hang the suit based off the bike being motorized regardless of it being shut off prior to and during the accident. Just imagine how a case would roll out if you were pushing a small motorcycle home and decided to coast down the hill on the sidewalk and then got into an accident, then it looks like the guy rolling a motorized vehicle illegally down a pedestrian reserved sidewalk is to blame.

I wish Carl the best of luck it can be a real flip flop type of case...

I'm pretty sure they made a left in front of him, he would be heading north (if the top of the picture is north) on the only sidewalk that road has, and as a truck was heading south a car in the northbound lane pulled out immediately after the truck had passed, the truck blocking Carl's view of what just happened, and so of course he smacked into the car.

Don't know if a turn signal can make a difference or not because pa is very much for the pedestrians when is comes to an accident, 9.9 times out of 10 the guy driving the car is going to get blamed for any collision with a pedestrian. The fact that he was already in the roadway when the car entered the crosswalk is pretty much the most solid part of the case, doesn't matter if he was moving, standing or sleeping in the crosswalk, the driver failed to check all possible areas where traffic would come from, or simply didn't take the time to, and as a result caused an accident.

The absolute only thing is that the bike has an engine in it, and proving it wasn't under gas power could be hard to do, and so the lawyer he picks should tread very carefully over that fact, if a grumpelstiltskin judge gets the wrong idea in his head he could hang the suit based off the bike being motorized regardless of it being shut off prior to and during the accident. Just imagine how a case would roll out if you were pushing a small motorcycle home and decided to coast down the hill on the sidewalk and then got into an accident, then it looks like the guy rolling a motorized vehicle illegally down a pedestrian reserved sidewalk is to blame.

That makes more sense for the obstructed view. Check Penn. bicycle laws 3501, 3508a and b. Technically a bicycle is considered a vehicle, so I'm not certain that pedestrian right of way will help. I to wish you good luck and speedy recovery Carl. I don't think this was as much a consequence of luck gone wrong as a poor choice on your part. In the right or wrong it's better to get where your going a little later and in one piece. Now it's gona be real hell justifying bike parts to the Misses.

That makes more sense for the obstructed view. Check Penn. bicycle laws 3501, 3508a and b. Technically a bicycle is considered a vehicle, so I'm not certain that pedestrian right of way will help. I to wish you good luck and speedy recovery Carl. I don't think this was as much a consequence of luck gone wrong as a poor choice on your part. In the right or wrong it's better to get where your going a little later and in one piece. Now it's gona be real hell justifying bike parts to the Misses.

Yea what Frankenstein said was correct regarding the way it happened. I'm not hopeful about the suit but I will try my best to see what happens. It doesn't look like the bike needs more then a fork so if that's the case then the wife won't complain to much, I'll play the sympathy card to avoid any hassle, may as well get something out of all this even if that's only spending my own money on a part or two hassle free.
And thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated. I think I'll relax for awhile and follow Frankensteins suggestion and fork some money over to the kid to do what needs to be done. The bad part is that it's going to take awhile to recover cause I'll get operated on once the swelling goes down and then recover from that point. I think my summer is shot, especially knowing here in Erie summers are so short. But I'll stay on the forum on keep learning, young grasshopper is not tapping out just yet!!

Last edited:
Yea what Frankenstein said was correct regarding the way it happened. I'm not hopeful about the suit but I will try my best to see what happens. It doesn't look like the bike needs more then a fork so if that's the case then the wife won't complain to much, I'll play the sympathy card to avoid any hassle, may as well get something out of all this even if that's only spending my own money on a part or two hassle free.
I'm sure you will check the mag real good for any cracks. I have seen spoked wheels buckle under less so if it held up to that it says a lot for these wheels. Best of luck with the sympathy card. Hope it has low interest rates.

And thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated. I think I'll relax for awhile and follow Frankensteins suggestion and fork some money over to the kid to do what needs to be done. The bad part is that it's going to take awhile to recover cause I'll get operated on once the swelling goes down and then recover from that point. I think my summer is shot, especially knowing here in Erie summers are so short. But I'll stay on the forum on keep learning, young grasshopper is not tapping out just yet!!

Good luck to you in a complete recovery.

Repairing the bicycle is the least of the other guy's insurance company. They can always put a dollar amount on your bicycle.

Total loss = $200.

It's your personal injury that they're concerned about!!!

It's your medical injuries that's scaring the bejesus out of the pencil pushers.

We're not talking "soft tissue" injuries that many victims fake.

You've got a broken leg!!!

And I guess you can push for pain and suffering, lost wages, and the psychological effects of the fear of ever riding your bicycle again, or driving a vehicle.

That's the big ticket.

Forget the broken bike. You'll be able to buy or have a custom MB built for you.

Sorry for your luck bro sounds like your taking it well that's good!Unfortunate that s**t happens like this but luckily your still here and not badly brokin up or hospitalized and I'll bet you dont ride in peoples blind spot anymore!

Good luck to you in a complete recovery.

Repairing the bicycle is the least of the other guy's insurance company. They can always put a dollar amount on your bicycle.

Total loss = $200.

It's your personal injury that they're concerned about!!!

It's your medical injuries that's scaring the bejesus out of the pencil pushers.

We're not talking "soft tissue" injuries that many victims fake.

You've got a broken leg!!!

And I guess you can push for pain and suffering, lost wages, and the psychological effects of the fear of ever riding your bicycle again, or driving a vehicle.

That's the big ticket.

Forget the broken bike. You'll be able to buy or have a custom MB built for you.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, forget the freaking bike if it pans out well you'll have enough to buy 20 kc cruisers and have enough left over for a used Mustang for you AND the wife.

Sorry for your luck bro sounds like your taking it well that's good!Unfortunate that sh*t happens like this but luckily your still here and not badly brokin up or hospitalized and I'll bet you dont ride in peoples blind spot anymore!
Yea you can say that again. I think I'll be stopping at every intersection for some time to come. I almost got into a similar accident on my last bike but fortunate for me I was only going ten miles an hour and was able to skid out prior to hitting the truck. So many drivers make turns at the last second without even using their turn signal it's dangerous for us.

Back