Thoughts on pairing a comet cvt with a phantom 85?

cloakedvillain

Local time
9:50 AM
Now the phantom 85 doesn't need help as according to those who use it, it has more than enough power to gear it for top speed. I am curious on fuel economy if its running real low in the rpm range though.

Now the phantom 85 doesn't need help as according to those who use it, it has more than enough power to gear it for top speed. I am curious on fuel economy if its running real low in the rpm range though.
The biggest issue is starting the motor. CVTs freewheel when not under power, so you would have to pre-start with a drill or something.

I am curious on fuel economy if its running real low in the rpm range though.
On my Zeda 80, If I remember correctly, I was averaging 95 to 100 MPG.

After breaking in the P-85 I am consistantly getting between 115 to 120 MPG, probably due to the lower RPMs and not using more than a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle to maintain 30 to 35 MPH speeds which is my comfort zone...Bike weighs 80 to 90 pounds, I weigh 217 pounds.

By my experience with my P-85, I have to say that yes, it does get improved fuel economy.

Rather than a CVT, a Strumey Archer SX3 IGH jackshaft transmission would be the better choice. If you did the following set up: Engine 10t>IGH 24t\24t>Rear Wheel 36t.

Then it's be like having the following rear sprockets to choose from:
1) 60t
2) 48t
3) 36t

The really cool thing is both of the engine's drive chains would be on the left side. You could still change gears while sitting still. You'd also be able to pedal start as well. Last of all, it would take up less space and wouldn't require a wide crank arm setup.

Back