Chains tire or chain locks up before starting

bikes4ever

Local time
6:15 AM
Only about 10% of the time does my chain or tire lock up when I go to start it up. I peddle. Release the clutch and it locks up for a second and then works fine.

My issue is that I was close to the curb and a car was behind me, when I peddle through the intersection and released the clutch I wasnt ready and the bike stopped and shifted my body and bike towards the curb (scary if it was towards the road and I stared into cars passing me.

Is this compression or lose chains or what?? Again this only happens about 10% or less

There's a good chance it's the compression, my old bike with the same single speed gear did this when starting if I didn't pedal while I let the clutch out, if I was already going fast enough then yes I could do it without pedaling.

If the chain was locking up there wouldn't be a mistake, it would lock up, and stay locked up until you really friggin yanked on it to unlock it,and it would be locked regardless of the clutch being engaged or not.

Either pedal while letting the clutch go, or pedal harder of that's what you do already, or simply wait untill you gain more momentum before dropping the clutch

if chain is getting stuck on drive sprocket, it is usually too loose

Back