Top end backwards

Amwicr

Local time
4:48 PM
Here's a 100% theoretical, not-gonna-ever-try/asking-for-a-friend, thought...

What If I flipped the head and piston of a yd100 backwards? so that the exhaust goes to the back with the carb facing forward. I do know it's been done, but not with a yd100. I'll try to find that thread.

let the discussion begin...if it gets any support, I'll do it, and report back. I will never ever try this, ever, at all under any circumstances, in case it might be considered an act of sub-par intelligence.

Ok I found the build where it was done

Here:

You would have to match the transfers to the case, but in theory it would work. The main issue with that is the exaust is the hotter side which is a main reason it faces the side the wind comes to when riding.

You would have to match the transfers to the case, but in theory it would work. The main issue with that is the exaust is the hotter side which is a main reason it faces the side the wind comes to when riding.
interesting. I still might try it just to have a wierd bike.

The previously mentioned hot side facing the cold wind is the biggest reason.

Smaller reasons also include... The entire intake and carburetor are shielded from debris and excessive dust being kicked up by the front tire. Having the head pipe right under the seat near your legs and also shielded from the wind of the bike in motion makes for a very very toasty experience.

That second one is often fought with on some motorcycles too, especially V twin and V4 bikes like my VFR1200. Honda put a lot of work into keeping the heat from the rear pipes under control, but you can still tell there are a couple of hot pipes under your crotch and backside. Ducati bikes, especially their new V4 bikes, are notorious for roasting your nuts on an open fire.

Back