Torque Converter on Whizzer

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by atombikes, Feb 5, 2014.

1. atombikes

atombikes Member

A couple days ago there was an auction for a Comet torque converter that was set up to work on a Whizzer. The auction ended at $103 which I thought was a really good deal for something that supposedly would work out of the box. I didn't bid because I don't really need it, and because of the uncertainty (would it work?)

Anyway, can anyone provide any insight on this topic? Would a torque converter work on Whizzer, and if it would, why hasn't anyone developed one to sell?

If the person that won the auction is reading this, please chime in and let us know how it works.

2. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

Some Whizzer models came with a cvt. I don't know anything else about them, but I do know that they came on certain models. It's a 136cc engine, no reason a cvt wouldn't work. It's got the power for it.

3. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi,

The last production Whizzer used a CVT modified from a GY6 scooter[Ambassador II and NE-r].

The motors are 138 CC and are choked down and don't really work well with the CVT.
    If the restrictor is removed and the motor modified it is still close on the amount of power it can dedicate to the CVT system.

I do think the system can be made to work better, but doubt it will ever compare to the automatic Whizzer clutch system [please note I said Whizzer clutch, not the current edition from Taiwan].

I have worked on several of the Whizzer CVT drives and can offer help if needed.

Have fun,