Trek 4500 / GP460 now twin belt jackshaft

well, sometimes i make things harder on myself by getting stuck in a single line of thought and not staying open to alternatives as projects mature and evolve.

i spent HOURS over months of time working out the placement of my jackshaft bearings to make the shaft centerlines of both loops equal distant from each other.

this was nec. because i wanted to use just one length of belting for both loops when i got to that. i made this much more complicated than it had to be by making the rack legs a single non-adjustable length.

DUH !!

i've seen how to correct this, finally making this setup much more transferable, something that had eluded me in the past and shut me down on progressing with this configuration.

i'll be making the changes thru the rest of the week and hope to have pics by the weekend.

thanks,
steve

Last edited:
SHUGAR LUMPS !!

my work times and spare cash have been hi-jacked by preparations for my daughters college graduation and degree / honors open house.

i'll be back next week.

steve

yep, her mother and i are mighty proud of her.

as you can probably guess, my being in a heavy labor / foreman position at 55 yrs of age, i left school at 16 and never looked back.

like many others, i was always so busy working 55-60 hrs a week to hold it together and instill / promote the very values i had rejected in my kids that i never even thought about what or where i might have been until recently.

raising adults that have their heads on straight and some promise of personal success of their own is a real priveledge and joy.

i wouldn't go back and change a thing now.

PS.......... i had a chance to go the extra mile for some people at work today, they were so pleased they tipped me $5.00. :))

went straight to the auto store and got 3ft. of fuel line to hook my front tank to the now rear mount engine.

did a little alignment and measuring for the bearing plates and shaft spacing. have it pretty much set, waiting for my next installment of "lunch money". LOL

thanks,
steve

Congratulations, I know you and the wife are proud. My granddaughter graduated from 4 yo kindergarten last Thursday. Had little blue caps and shawls, brought back memories of my girls HS & college graduations. Madeleine didn't have a clue what was going on but it was cute.

By the way, kerf, AKA "Pa".

almost there.

waiting for 2 left hand thread rod ends ( promised for delivery tomorrow) to complete my adjustable torque rods, from frame to rack.

using the same cut down Staton "U" bracket with an exhaust clamp around the seat post just under the seat QR clamp, same way i did it for the Staton gear box.

still need to file a "keeper" landing on the jsack shaft for the outer sprocket set screw and cut the shaft final length.

pics and test ride results by the week end.

thanks,
steve

garbel snooken frack !!

got everything together (so i thought ) and went for a test ride.

lots of fun, doing 40 down US/6, slow down for a right and when i get back on the gas, NOTHING, just free revs.

one glance shows the primary chain missing, turn around , find the chain in the apex of the corner, but the 11T 6 spine shaft cog is nowhere to be found.

:unsure: rats i forgot to put the snap ring on !!

everything working well, but no riding till i can get a replacement cog. Grrrrr.

steve

I'll look for the pics when you get to them, Steve. For a simpleton like myself your projects
are usually a notch or two up the scale of complexity so I need 'pitchers' to understand.

HV,

atleast you're willing to talk to me about it, about 50 other guys viewed the thread between my post and yours without so much as a, HAHA !! way to go Homer !!

i could take a couple of pics tonight, i have an bad cog i could pu ton the splined shaft, just won't have a chain on it.

steve

Last edited:
here's a few pics.

a couple showing the cassette and chains, the cogs on th e far inside are just there to take up space, i'm only using the 2 outer most for pedal drive, the 3rd out there is just there till i get another spacer to take it's place.

another showing a block of 1.5" sq. tube i put in the back of the jackshaft plates to keep the torque from pulling the shaft out of line and causing slack in both chains.

one showing approx. primary chain position. one pretty much just a profile of the rack in general, this one also shows alittle of the front freewheel, this sprocket turns when the engine is driving the bike, but very slowly, the pedals don't turn of course.

this was all just some madness i "saw" sitting at my desk at work ,staring at the ceiling, hoping the phone would ring.

i haven't incorporated the rack leg adjusters yet, blocking the plates delt with the chain slack issues for the time being.

steve

Attachments

• jackshaft-rebuild-001.jpg
    jackshaft-rebuild-001.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 321
  • jackshaft-rebuild-002.jpg
    jackshaft-rebuild-002.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 320
  • jackshaft-rebuild-003.jpg
    jackshaft-rebuild-003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 290
  • jackshaft-rebuild-004.jpg