Trike trucks

electric or gas?

at this point I think the only thing that will fit on my trike is electric. but gas does have its apeal for distance.

When you say motor, do you mean an electric motor, or do you mean a gas engine?

QUOTE]

Well, on that frame, under the seat is a fairly substantial bit of space for a motor and/or batteries. There are lots of choices of motors to be looked at - it really depends on two factors; 1) total power you want to apply; and 2) budget you have available.

On the power issue, most states seem to limit ebikes to one HP at the shaft, which translates into a 750W (nominal) motor. Budget will be the biggest factor in battery type decisions, obviously in a trade-off between cost and power drensity/pound. High end, go with Lithium poly batteries, low end lead acid, with several intermediary choices. Motors you can spend from $40 to $1,400 on - depends on what you need/can afford.

Keep in mind as well that most states prohibit "transmissions" in power assisted bikes - a derailleur is a form of transmission, as is any mult-speed hub.

First thisg to do is to set your budget, then using that decide what power motor you want and what size/type of batteries will meet your needs. With those things decided, you can then research what is available to meet your goals.

Last edited:
this has much too large of a front wheel and the trail is way too much. think about zero trail and you will have a better handling vehichle. http://commutercycling.blogspot.com/2007/10/ultimate-touring-bike.html

Attached is what you asked for - a delta trike, 26" wheels intended, 45 degree rake, as drawn intended to have a NuVinci hub as a mid-drive, a Shimano 3 speed internally geared hub as "differential", driving both rear wheels through freewheel hubs. That give you an, in effect, 3 speed rear end under it along with the full range of gearing through the NV hub.

Last edited:
Most recumbent delta trikes use a standard steer fork to save money; set at 60 degrees as a compromise. The wheel must turn on its side because the trike can’t lean like a bike, but that produces wheel flop.
[]
The way to correct that problem is to add more rake for less trail. Best maneuverability can be had by dropping the steer axis down to around 50 degrees and rake the wheel axil to zero trail (or at least no more than 1.3”)

Electric HP is increased by voltage, but that requires more batteries. To have enough power to drive 4-500 lbs combined weight, you need a power system that weighs at least 100lbs: a thousand watt motor at 36 or 48 volts can mean 3 or 4 batteries.

You may need to recharge at your destination even when using pedal assistance. Your vehicle may weigh 2-3 hundred lbs, don’t forget to use disc brakes!!!!!

Don’t start with a wimpy trike, even my EZ3 trike may not be big enough for a big enough power system. A trike truck should be built with enough room for the motor not to stick out the rear.

They have small diesel and kerosine engines. And you dont need a hydrostatic drive either. I'm not sure how that mentioned drivetrain will work. I've thought that kinda setup up alot. the NV is basically a CVT, infront of a mutli speed transmission will not work as good as you'd think. Changing a gear behind it wouldnt effect it although yeah it will work I think you would get some better outcome if it was the other way around. It would hafta be actually tested to see which way would be best. I'm thinking multispeed transmission in front of a CVT would allow the CVT to "change speeds" after you've shifted. I hjave a trike with a LSD axle and was thinking of something like this. I used to think that the NuVinci hub was supossed to be a gas-powered hub.

You have obviously found something that you like. if I were you, I would do what I do. Start by finding one parked, go sit down next to it (with the Super's permission, of course) and just stare at it. See how it works. See the way the parts inter-mix with each other. Just STUDY it. You would be surprised with what you come away with. Just don't concentrate on anything other than the machinery and the way one thing opperates on the other...how the parts are put together, how they are mounted and connected: tranny to drive line...engine to tranny. How do the brakes work?

Just study all of those things and connections until your mind is filled with numerous possibilities. Think of everything that is safe or dangerous.

Then, go to sleep on those thoughts!! I guarantee you will wake- up and come-up with something good! Very good ideas.

I was actually thinking if you had a electric setup, you could run a generator hub to recharge as you drive. Maybe hook it up to a capacitor or something.

Back