Troubleshooting a Huasheng 4-stroke Engine

Turn screw clockwise for leaner, counter clockwise for richer. Try setting it with the idle rpm screw (the black plastic one) set at about 1 1/2 turns in and turn the screw behind the plug all the way clockwise then turn counter clockwise 2-2 1/2 turns. Do minor tweaking on this screw till its where you like. If you gotta turn the rpm screw in a bunch then you are too rich.

Thank you for the tuning instructions BTW! Unfortunately I had no luck with the motor starting up. Did adjustments...tried pull starting it a couple times...no luck, and did the same thing over and over again till I gave up lol. My arm got too sore from pull starting it so many times. Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe the motor is still too lean or too rich.

Wow, sounds like you may need a new carburetor. When I have clean the carb on my xr 250 I use carb cleaner and blast it out with compressed air. If you have good spark, it must be a fuel problem.
Best of luck

Wow, sounds like you may need a new carburetor. When I have clean the carb on my xr 250 I use carb cleaner and blast it out with compressed air. If you have good spark, it must be a fuel problem.
Best of luck

At this moment this has to be a fuel problem, aka most likely the jet is clogged somehow even after the cleaning or needs to be ported.

Are the gaskets ok? If the carb is clean, you might have a vacuum leak. I ran into this problem on a go kart in auto shop once in high school. We put the carb back on with a gasket missing and the only way it would run was if we kept shooting ether into it. My teacher then taught is how to make gaskets out of manilla folders.

Are the gaskets ok? If the carb is clean, you might have a vacuum leak. I ran into this problem on a go kart in auto shop once in high school. We put the carb back on with a gasket missing and the only way it would run was if we kept shooting ether into it. My teacher then taught is how to make gaskets out of manilla folders.

Double checked the gaskets when I removed the carb. And I made sure to put them back on extra carefully. No rips or tears in them.

Interesting, so it would run if you shot ether into it? Would the motor still run or die shortly afterwards? In my case if I shoot starting fluid into the carb it runs for a second then dies. I was thinking it was a A/F mixture problem but what if there isn't any fuel coming from the jet of the carb?

Also how could I test for a vacuum leak?

This motor has stumped me lol. There's spark, good compression, fuel seems to be getting to the carb. But it still doesn't want to start, any pointers?

Just did some testing on the bike:
- Removed the spark plug and put my finger where the spark plug hole is and turned over the motor a couple times. Was checking to see if there was fuel going into the motor. Found out there isn't. No fuel smell and there wasn't any fuel on my finger. I might have to disassemble the carb again, maybe drill or replace the jet??
- When I was turning over the motor there was this "chuffing" noise coming from the intake of the carb. Thought it was a little weird. Is this anything out of the ordinary?

I had the same problem on a buggy that I got second hand.

It was the jet.

I did a carb clean and it did nothing, the motor would only run while I was putting petrol down the carbie, as soon as I stopped it died.
I removed the jet and used a bristle off a wire brush to clean the 8(?) holes, I did need to grind the bristle down to the right size as some of the holes are so small that they are barely visible to the naked eye.

Good luck with it mate :)

I had the same problem on a buggy that I got second hand.

It was the jet.

I did a carb clean and it did nothing, the motor would only run while I was putting petrol down the carbie, as soon as I stopped it died.
I removed the jet and used a bristle off a wire brush to clean the 8(?) holes, I did need to grind the bristle down to the right size as some of the holes are so small that they are barely visible to the naked eye.

Good luck with it mate :)

Dang so it is the jet! :/ That jet is the bane of my existence then lol. Has caused me so many headaches. So you're recommending pulling the jet out of the carb and cleaning it with a wire brush? I tried unscrewing the jet from the carb while I was cleaning it. However when I was turning it counterclockwise with a Flathead, the jet did not want to loosen. Ended up chipping a small piece of brass off of it, the brass seems extremely brittle so I don't want to keep trying to turn it. Maybe it's threaded to be unscrewed clockwise?

Dang so it is the jet! :/ That jet is the bane of my existence then lol. Has caused me so many headaches. So you're recommending pulling the jet out of the carb and cleaning it with a wire brush? I tried unscrewing the jet from the carb while I was cleaning it. However when I was turning it counterclockwise with a Flathead, the jet did not want to loosen. Ended up chipping a small piece of brass off of it, the brass seems extremely brittle so I don't want to keep trying to turn it. Maybe it's threaded to be unscrewed clockwise?
No, it unscrews normal, don't tighten it beyond repair going clockwise.

Back