Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

Yes belts unlike chains dont have alot of leway alignment wise, they have to be spot on or they come off with or without sides...Look at a Blower on a drag car, they have pulleys and belt, no sides on the pulleys ;-)

I am awaiting my mate to pick me up to gotto the hardware and bicycle
shop so i thought i would up a couple of pics from yesterday/last night while i wait-->

pulley1.jpg

Marking out of the pulley SEE Gary i do mark stuff.....sometimes LoL :p

pulley2.jpg

If you check one of the pics below on the right of shot, you will see a heap of
aluminium shavings, thats ALL from that pulley! I should of weighed it
prior to drilling the thing to see how much it shaved off...

My mate and I slid the forks onto the bike last night too see how much needs
lopping off them, prolly about 3-4 inches will get accurate about it this arvo...
if its not too hot, heres a few 'teaser' shots of how they look on the bike as is...
the springer tube ISNT connected to the rockers...

springer%20fork%20mock%20up.jpg

Notice i have been able to use the bar clamps rather than a traditional stem!!!
the top of the fork tubes have a thread in them! same setup as the threadless
forks use, the thread slides so ill knock it down a little and lop the top off the
fork tubes, no need for re-chroming!! When down the Bar clamps will sit flush
on the top CNC Pr0n plate hehe

springer%20fork%20mock%20up%202.jpg

springer%20fork%20mock%20up%203.jpg

Feeling a lil bad i asked Matt to sell them too me now i see them on the
bike, they are just so sexy...then i think about the 1976 Honda 400
hes modding to a cafe' racer (Luke you will ****ing LOVE this thing
when hes done ill forward pics to you
) and his new e-mountain bike
build and i dont feel as bad LoL..Cheers Matt..

KiM

I think Rif once told me that a well built bike builds itself. Do you feel that way about this one?

I think Rif once told me that a well built bike builds itself. Do you feel that way about this one?

HAHA..well, i sat here on days looking at it from this seat
perving on it for hours and i haven't seen it lift a nut or bolt welder grinder
brush or allen key to fix its self hehehee...it is going pretty smoothly
though mate i must say, few minor hitches but nothing really troublesome, i think if i put more planning into things rather than "making it up as i
go along" it would be more smoother going... :)

Got back awhile ago with a 1/2in drill bit to drill the pulley for the output shaft of
the reduction drivefreakin LBS doesnt open till 10am SLACK baaaastards so no
headset grrr.. We got a speeding fine on the way back so a bloody expensive
5km trip 150 bucks and two demerits latter, managed to talk the cop into reducing
the speed we were caught at, there was two wiminez in shortie shorts walking
along the side of the road that distracted us, "likely story guys" he said, i said "true story"
as i pointed behind and said "look..here they come..." well thats the best excuse he
had heard for awhile and knocked 10kms off the ticket for me mate hahaha...Girls
walked by 5 minutes later cops tongues were hanging out hahaha...

OK..so heres a couple of pics of my driveline with NEW belt and NEW pulleys
installed on Mr R's drive unit-->

Pulley&Belt_fitted_series_pics_1.jpg

As can be seen, i still haven't 'recessed' the shock mount so the motor can
be tilted forward to allow necassary clearance of belt from motor, it ever so
slightly touches needs to be moved ~5mm forwward to clear, no biggy fix it
before locktiting and tightening of components. As you can see though Matt.P
absolutely NAILED it working out correct belt size it couldnt be any more perfect for length!!!!

Mate and I were sitting looking at the setup and Flavio says to me, "that motor
will go forward of the shock mount
" i Said "nope...it will hit..." Turns out
it doesn't...This ones for you Luke...-->

4_motor_photochop.jpg

I thinkz im gunna need more batteries Luke BWAHAHAA..Two motors will be
plenty i doubt as, even as nice and strong Mr Rs reduction unit is 4 motors would
be a lil much for it no?

Off to the quacks in 10 minutes so prolly be it for today over 30 (in 90s) this arvo
so too hot to sit in tin workshop for this black duck..

Laterz peepz

KiM

EDIT:

P.S How you like that ****Safe, I'll give you" OUTLAW" Status pal...Lets see your Halbach motor beat that setup :p :p :p

Last edited:
P.S How you like that ****Safe, I'll give you" OUTLAW" Status pal...Lets see your Halbach motor beat that setup :p :p :p

It's 11 degrees right now and I have to shovel snow. At this time
of year it just seems like spring is a long way off. :cry:

The Halbach motor can be built to be more or less unlimited in power if
you want to. The AGNI race motors aren't Halbach, but they are
axial flux and they produce a lot of power for their weight. But we've
discussed this countless times... I'm sticking to the 1K or 2K limit for
power.... I'm not following into the big power area. But it does look
like you could do it. (and with your situation you might as well)

I was not too excited about moving to a state where only elec assist bikes are legal on the road. After reading your posts and seeing how much individuality can be created, I'm looking forward to my first electric build.

I was not too excited about moving to a state where only elec assist bikes are legal on the road. After reading your posts and seeing how much individuality can be created, I'm looking forward to my first electric build.

I think you will enjoy the performance of the e-bike wheelbender
go with something around 1000watt and it will blow away the HT
for acceleration and top speed, if you get yourself some decent
batteries 48v 20ah range in lifep04 for example, you'll get ~50kilometer range per charge more than enough
for most errands by time your gone half that your butt will be screaming for a break LoL...

37c (98F) forecast for today & tomorrow so doubtful much will be down over the weekend
cool change forecast for Monday though so first order of business will be too put in a NEW
head tube, YES! I have one for a threadless headset good 'ol Matt has come to the rescue....again
with a schwin stingray frame (albeit chopped to the hilt from pasts projects hehehee) with an
intact head tube!!! -->

file.php

And YES i am seriously considering using the Schwin 'tank/gusset' in a reduced size and angle
on my frame for added strength! Its very think sheet steel so weight will be
a bit of a non-issue ...be all about if it 'looks the goods' to whether it will happen

This project would have been alot more difficult if not for without Matt he has been very invaluable in getting components for this build so it can progress ... Along with the frame Matt also bought me up a threadless headset AND a niiiice aluminium stem for the springer i will use!...Cheers for everything mate :D !

Back when i am folkz

KiM

Last edited:
Kim, that's one impressive build. I've spent the last couple of hours perusing the first 6 pages. (I'm supposed to be bottling my home brew - tomorrow.) Well done.
I don't usually hang in the electric motors section, so I'd missed this.
I think you're aware that one of my hobbies is electronic design/construction. I have everything here for designing and making small circuit boards and I'm not too bad at circuit design, it was my job for a few years, so if you need anything like that... sing out.
(Back to page 7.)

Phew, made it to the end.
Very well documented, mate.
Your patience and attention to detail is astounding.
I'll be watching this one.

... Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, it is always pleasing to get positive feedback
I hsall keep in mind the electronics offer to buddy, myself, i struggle to put batteries in my digital camera, electronics really doesnt interest me in the slightest so i have never bothered to spend time learning more than i need to for each specific project i have undertaken. I have the utmost respect those with the ability to make sophisticated circuits though, just doesn't come as 'natural' to me as working metal;-)

KiM

p.s best of luck with the home brew too, i used to brew my own few years back, i don't drink so much these days and when i do its alcohol the mates drop by with, the heavy medication (pain relief) i am on these days doesn't go well with excessive drink i'm afraid....

Hi, KiM
I haven't been around for awhile, but the past few days i have been catching up on your trike project, I have always followed that project (saw the video of the motor smoking the other day, felt bad buddy)
and now I just finished going through this build, and i must say, very good work (as always)

You have a reputation for attacking innocent posters with some
rather "salty" language so you have to figure that only the more stiff willed
types like myself will endure it.

Also... on "Project Threads" it's generally understood that you aren't
supposed to fill them up with too much dialog because it makes it harder
for people to read.

Wow, I always thought you guys were good buddies.

Anyways, fill them up with as much dialog as you can, :D I'm sure alot of people learn different things from your worklogs, I know you have given me some good ideas that i haven't thought of before.

Keep up the good work.

OOOOOH, just noticed it says "banned" under your name.
That explains why you haven't posted lately.

Last edited:
Back